Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 08:13 AM
We're 11 people going on a cruise together as a family, two of which are 7yoa and 2yoa. We adults would like to go to Chops, and were wondering if the children's activity clubs onboard extend through the dinner hour, say 6pm to 7:30pm?
If not, does Chops have a policy against children,one which will need a high chair? Also, since neither will eat a full meal (probably parts of Mom and Dad's meal) will we have to have and pay for a reservation for each,
not that the cost is so much, just a question?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 AM

The Adventure Ocean is open from 7am to 2pm on port days, and until 5pm on sea days. Children under the age of 13 are not allow in Chops or Portofino's. They have baby sitting service that can only be arranged on board (no online arrangement). It's $10 per hour for up to 2 children, and $15 per hour for 3 or more children. They do not babysit for infants 12 months or younger.

Sonny
Old 12-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Administrator

HERE is the age policy for Chops. As you can tell by the tenor of their wording you might not get a reservation with the kids. Chops is a long and elegant dinner and not really suitable for kids that young. Just my honest opinion on it. They tell you to budget two to three hours for dinner. Actually, on the Oasis the Chops policy was 13 and older only according to my Cruise Compasses so the linked information might be wrong. Perhaps it varies by ship. Nobody eats for free. Each person has to pay regardless of age.

Adventure Ocean does a kid's dinner in the Windjammer, but I don't recall if it is every night or what age groups can do it. Let me look through my cruise junk and see. However the minimum age for Adventure Ocean is 3 years old. Those under 36 months can be enrolled in the Royal Tots program but it is structured differently and an adult has to accompany the kids to it.

Bottom line is as Sonny noted: if you all want to eat at Chops you'll have to arrange a baby sitter
Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Administrator

From what I can tell, they'll do a kid's dinner on at least the formal nights and do it at Johnny Rockets, however, depending on the number of kids aboard they might do it more nights and use a part of the Windjammer. It varies. You really won't know until you board and the parents get info from the AO staff. As I said previously, this will cover the 7 year old only.

Edit to add: Regardless of the above, the kids dinner won't last more than 45 minutes or so, so you'd still have a scheduling conflict.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks Dave, Sonny. This is our first cruise with young children, ANY children for that matter. Oh well, go with the flow and work within the system. Thanks again
Old 12-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Administrator

How about this idea: the parents stay with the kids on one night while the others go to Chops, and then give the parents the gift of a dinner date for themselves at Chops on another night while the group tends to the kids.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Dave, I like that idea-I'll have to put it to Mom and Dad.
But, now you have me worried a bit-what about the main dining room? Are kids restricted there also, or do they have high chairs? I'm sure I've seen children there, but I don't remember seeing them that young (2yoa). I'd not be happy paying for the Pres. Family Suite and not be able for all to eat together-Chops I understand
Old 12-21-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
what about the main dining room? Are kids restricted there also, or do they have high chairs?
Children are permitted in the main dining room, and I know they have booster seats. Not sure about high chairs. Perhaps someone else knows about that. Most families with children eat at the early seating.

Since your group has 11 people, they're likely to want to split you into two tables next to each other. I think the largest table holds just 10.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:06 AM

RCI has started a new program for the main dining room. It's called My Family Time Dining. You will be seated in a special area and the children will be served their meal quickly within 40 minutes. The Ocean Venture staff will then come and get the children and the parents can continue to have a quieter longer dinner. This may not be rolled out on all ships yet.

Closed Thread

Tags
cost, cruise