Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 06:20 PM

We're planning our second cruise but can't decide which one. Both are out of Barcelona this October. One is on the Brilliance 12 days & spending 1 1/2 days in Venice, the other is on the Navigator 11 days & spending 1 1/2 days in Istanbul. We've been to a few of the ports that the Brilliance goes to, but the time at each port is longer than the ports with the Navigator. We're 3 couples trying to decide and can't.
Help, which ship is the better to travel on?
Old 01-13-2008, 06:20 PM

We're planning our second cruise but can't decide which one. Both are out of Barcelona this October. One is on the Brilliance 12 days & spending 1 1/2 days in Venice, the other is on the Navigator 11 days & spending 1 1/2 days in Istanbul. We've been to a few of the ports that the Brilliance goes to, but the time at each port is longer than the ports with the Navigator. We're 3 couples trying to decide and can't.
Help, which ship is the better to travel on?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 PM

Hi Sue, Welcome to Cruise-Chat! I'd have a hard time between those two choices as well. I like Navigator between the two ships but the ports would be a bigger concern for me. More port time is also a benefit but the extra sailing day of Brilliance sounds like a plus too. I think I'd rather spend 1 1/2 days in Venice than Istanbul but then I've never been to Istanbul so that might be great too. Sorry, I'm obviously no help here, just wanted to welcome you and say have a great cruise. Whichever one you choose.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-13-2008, 07:56 PM

If you decide to book the Brillance you'll get two cruise credits because it's a 12 night cruise. The Navigator is my favorite of the two ship too. I like the Promenade, and the ice show. You don't have either on the Brillance.

Sonny
Old 01-13-2008, 11:02 PM

I have a slightly different take on the two cruises. To us, and we have been on more than 60 ships, when it comes to Med cruises the ship is not too important. These are very port intensive cruises, and you will often find that most of the folks are wiped out after running around like crazy monkeys in the ports. So, choose your cruise based on the ports. You are correct to look at the time in port, but also look hard at where the ports are located in relation to your ultimate destination. Places like Livorno and Civitavecchia involve hours just getting to and from Florence and Rome respectfully. Other ports like Istanbul and Venice are located right in the cities so you maximize your port days. As to the ships, personally we prefer the Radiance Class ships in the Med because they have fewer passengers...but this is just a personal preference. My DW sometimes calls the huge megaships the "Blight of the Seas."

Hank
Old 01-14-2008, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. Hank, your right about the ports being more important than the ship. Venice is what we'd really like to see. The Brilliance sounds good too, just missing a few things, ie. the Promenade and ice rink. But that's not too important to us. I'd really like it if the Navigator was going to Venice instead of Istanbul. For some reason Istanbul doesn't sound appealing. Although I'm told it's a great place to see. Confused or what!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Hi suec, and welcome to cruise-chat.

I have a solution for you -- Brilliance of the Seas with Venice this year, and then see what Navigator is doing next year.

Seriously, I agree with Hank regarding the ports as the more important aspect. And, even though you've been to a couple of the ports, there is always something new to explore.

Let us know what you decide.

Closed Thread