Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 11:36 PM

Hi all... I am trying to book a cruise for Aug 5 on the Mariner (Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Maarten) for husband and me... I cruised AGES ago, this is my husband's first time. So we are pretty new at this...

Question #1:
I am a little worried about sea sickness, and wondered if I could get suggestions as to which part of the ship I should choose on the Mariner, or does it matter?

Question 2:
I have limited my highest class to oceanview staterooms... hard choice because I liked the idea of a balcony, and would pay extra, but heard you are out of your room so much so thought I would save my money for excursions and shopping....????

My options are:

Deck Six, Oceanview Stateroom #6508 (which looks like it is on the back corner of the ship?)

Deck Three, Oceanview Stateroom #3503 (not quite mid ship, but close to elevators?)

Deck Two, Oceanview Stateroom #2340, #2630, #2640, #2642, #2648 (it looks like #2630 is closest to the middle?)

Deck ?, Interior Stateroom.... guaranteed stateroom.

Any suggestions about room locations based on sea sickness or any other reasons would be helpful!

Thanks so much!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:36 PM

Hi all... I am trying to book a cruise for Aug 5 on the Mariner (Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Maarten) for husband and me... I cruised AGES ago, this is my husband's first time. So we are pretty new at this...

Question #1:
I am a little worried about sea sickness, and wondered if I could get suggestions as to which part of the ship I should choose on the Mariner, or does it matter?

Question 2:
I have limited my highest class to oceanview staterooms... hard choice because I liked the idea of a balcony, and would pay extra, but heard you are out of your room so much so thought I would save my money for excursions and shopping....????

My options are:

Deck Six, Oceanview Stateroom #6508 (which looks like it is on the back corner of the ship?)

Deck Three, Oceanview Stateroom #3503 (not quite mid ship, but close to elevators?)

Deck Two, Oceanview Stateroom #2340, #2630, #2640, #2642, #2648 (it looks like #2630 is closest to the middle?)

Deck ?, Interior Stateroom.... guaranteed stateroom.

Any suggestions about room locations based on sea sickness or any other reasons would be helpful!

Thanks so much!
Old 07-21-2007, 10:02 AM

Thinking about the old saying, "Under the weather", I would say go to the middle and go down low. Actually, given your choices I would go closer to the elevators on deck 3 (3503.)

I don't really think sea sickness will be a problem unless you have some really bad weather.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010
Old 07-21-2007, 10:24 AM

To be honest, you rarely see any seasickness onboard these megavessels. The stabilizer technology is very advanced and can overcome some of the roughest seas. It's not uncommon to feel a little swaying activity but it is not so discombobulating as to cause maritime nausea. Of course, you would assume the lower the deck, the slighter the motion. You could make a case for that based on simple physics but, in my humble opinion, you will probably never notice the gentle motion of the ocean.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:42 AM

Thank you so much! I feel much better... I will book now!

Happy Cruising!

B
Old 07-21-2007, 03:42 PM

There is a motion sickness oil and I believe it is called Motion Eze and is sold at Walmart right next to the dramamine. You dab it on behind your ear just like the patch and I swear it works. I've never been sea sick and I've given it to people onboard who felt a little queasy and they've all told me it helped. Only costs about $5.00. Worth having just in case!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Almost any deck would be fine-as long as you TRY to be in the middle of the ship, and Fore/Aft movement will probably not even be felt. Side to side movement, at least on Mariner, is almost non-existant. We've been in 9602 on deck 9 on the port side and found no problem with movement. The ship store has a box of pills, called Bromine (I think that's the name) which is a chewable tablet once a day, and it take care of any motion sickness.

Need some cruise help?
Old 07-25-2007, 06:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jim1012:
The ship store has a box of pills, called Bromine (I think that's the name) which is a chewable tablet once a day, and it take care of any motion sickness.

Bromine comes in handy if you are sanitizing a swimming pool but it won't help sea sickness. What Jim is thinking of is Bonine.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks-I can almost remember my name daily if I try............

Need some cruise help?

Closed Thread

Tags
9602, balcony, deck, mariner, msc, poesia, sea, ship, sickness, stateroom