Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 05:33 PM

I always prepay...simply because it is one less thing to worry about at the end of the cruise.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-30-2007, 06:02 PM
I go the prepay and then tip extra for extra service....I always start out by giving my room steward a $20 bill when I first meet him/her...works wonders....and of course they get the other tip that I've already pre-paid...Tipping is the cheapest part of the cruise I think..but there are people who don't tip at all....Naughty.....

Bob E
Old 07-30-2007, 06:28 PM

But the steward gets to know you have pre-paid allready before the sailing, right?
Don't want the staff to think you're not tipping =P
Old 07-30-2007, 06:35 PM

Your cabin steward knows you pre-paid when he delivers the vouchers to your room.

Sonny
Old 07-30-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lisareneeo:
Very new to cruising.
I know who you tip but is it based on the # of days or nights?

I am going on a 4 night/5 day cruise.Do I multiply the amount times 4 or 5?

I am thinking 4 because that is how many times we will eat in the dining room (based on # of nights) but I am just not sure.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Lisa

Lisa,
It can get a little confusing but the proper cruise terminology for a cruise of 5days/4nights is "4 day cruise". Therefore; to answer your question you will be on a 4 day cruise and gratuities should be based on the number of days "4".
Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 PM
I believe...and tip accordingly...to me, a 5 day cruise means 5 days......and I would tip for 5 days...No matter what...have a Grand Cruise...

Bob E
Old 07-30-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:

Lisa,
It can get a little confusing but the proper cruise terminology for a cruise of 5days/4nights is "4 day cruise". Therefore; to answer your question you will be on a 4 day cruise and gratuities should be based on the number of days "4".
Now I'm confused. Royal Caribbean's terminology is 7 night, 5 night; etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 5 night cruise has 5 evening dinners. The day of embarkation is counted as one day. So, a 5 night cruise has 6 days. Hmmmm, very interesting. Can someone clear things up? DAVE, how about some help here!

Sonny
Old 07-30-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SONNYV:
quote:
Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:

Lisa,
Now I'm confused. Royal Caribbean's terminology is 7 night, 5 night; etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 5 night cruise has 5 evening dinners. The day of embarkation is counted as one day. So, a 5 night cruise has 6 days. Hmmmm, very interesting. Can someone clear things up? DAVE, how about some help here!

Sonny

Sonny,
Yes, a 5night cruise has six days total which is how Lisa presented her 5day/4nt. The majority of cruise lines use the terminology "days" to mean "nights" Carnival, Princess, HAL, and NCL are a few that list their cruises this way in their brochures. RCI,Celebrity, and Costa in their brochures say "night". Maybe they are doing it that way to eliminate confusion for the consumer. It can get confusing sometimes when trying to figure out the exact dates for getting airfare. But when I went through my cruise certification training that is the way it was taught "days" was "nights". Either way; using your example of 5nt/6day you tip on the "5". Now are you really confused?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Now, I'm confused!

No...not really. Just another of those inconsistencies from line to line.

Lisa, the short answer to your question is that you would multiply the suggested tip amount by four (4).

Elaborating a bit, on a 4 night cruise (say you embark Monday, disembark Friday morning), you will have had:
4 breakfasts (Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri)
4 lunches (Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs)
4 dinners (Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs)
Bed made/cabin cleaned for you 4 times (Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs mornings)
Bed turndown service 4 times (Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs evenings)

Hope that helps.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JuniorCruiser:
Normally, isn't tipping automatically included in the total cruise price when booking? Does that means you don't have to tip onboard, waiters and attendants?
Some cruiselines will include the tips for people from the U.K. and Australia and maybe other countries in Europe.
I would check with your TA
People from North America are use to tipping and it is not included in the price of the cruise so they pay on board.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, day, recommended, tipping