Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2002, 06:39 PM

Hello .Can anyone give me the strait goods about passports.I'm a canadian travelling Feb/09/03. I realize it's the best piece of documention you can own for travelling purposes. We are sailing South Carib and visiting St Thomas. St Maarten, and Aruba. If I can get by without one I won't bother with one. Appreciate any advice or experiences
Old 12-25-2002, 06:39 PM

Hello .Can anyone give me the strait goods about passports.I'm a canadian travelling Feb/09/03. I realize it's the best piece of documention you can own for travelling purposes. We are sailing South Carib and visiting St Thomas. St Maarten, and Aruba. If I can get by without one I won't bother with one. Appreciate any advice or experiences
Old 12-26-2002, 02:11 PM

While I'm not 100% sure, I'm almost positive that you'll need one. It used to be that a birth certificate was enough, but after calling up the cruise line for an upcoming trip that I'm taking they insist that a passport be presented.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:59 AM

At this time it is still possible for US and Canadian residents to travel to the Caribbean and Mexico using a certified birth certificate and photo ID as proof of citizenship. It would be in your best interest to plan to get a passport for future travel, however, as it appears that at some point it will be required for any out of country travel.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 12-28-2002, 12:47 PM

We just got back from a November 30th cruise on Dawn Princess, and faced something we never experienced. US Citizens went through 1 location, and foreigners, another location on the ship in St. Thomas. They gave us slips to get off the ship, and this had to be done by everyone, even if not getting off the ship. Since Sept. 11th, security is a lot more rigid. I would get a passport, as from what I understand, it's just a matter of time before this is mandatory. We needed our passports in hand for this inspection, and didn't see anyone without passports. Several people mentioned that they just got them, to be o
"on the safe side". Good luck!
Old 01-10-2003, 02:53 PM

I was speaking with my travel agent and she stated a certified birth cert is just as good as a passport. I would advise calling your travel agent. We have the reciept showing what is needed and it states a certified birth certificate or a passport. I would be suprised if i went all that way and they would not let me on due to only having a birthcert. There would be a lawsuit. your ok !!!! also i know passports cost above 50.00 and they are good for 10 years, so if you plan on traveling out of the country alot go get one if not birthcert ok have fun!!! oh driver license needed too :
Old 01-18-2003, 09:50 PM

We just ordered our passports ( Oregon). It was $180 for two! Yikes! Oh well, they'll last ten years. - Toni
Old 01-20-2003, 05:27 AM

I agree with Sue. I can see the day when a passport is mandatory and probably not that far away. Do it now at your leisure and beat the rush. It is also so comforting to know that someone can't question your documentation. I have seen so many people have to jump through hoops at the airport because their birth certificate wasn't quite right.
Mike

Mike & Carol

Costa Classica 3/94
Celebrity Mercury 4/98
Carnival Destiny 4/99
Crown Princess 7/01
Norwegian Star 11/01
Grand Princess 12/01
Sun Princess 3/02
Celebrity Constellation 11/02
Brilliance of the Seas 6/03
Navigator of the Seas 11/03

Costa Classica 3/94
Celebrity Mercury 4/98
Carnival Destiny 4/99
Crown Princess 7/01
Norwegian Star 11/01
Grand Princess 12/01
Sun Princess 3/02
Celebrity Constellation 11/02
Brilliance of the Seas 6/03
Navigator of the Seas 11/03

Old 01-20-2003, 12:24 PM

Hi There,
Rules are changing like wildfire! Aside from your passport, you will also need some photo ID (like your driver's license). As a Canadian, your passport will be taken on boarding and then returned to you sometime near the end of the cruise. This is when you must report to Immigration and then they return your passport.

Just thought you should know. Check out the cruise site of the cruise line you are travelling with for their requirements. I know with Carnival you also need a photo id (if you're over 16), + passport. Get a passport and don't be hassled. You better do this soon as there is a longer wait period now to get your passport.
From a fellow Canadian!!
Old 02-24-2003, 08:45 PM

Ok I'll admit it we are newbies (our first cruise)so we have lots of questions. When you go ashore at the various ports is there a place to get your passports stamped?

Closed Thread

Tags
passport