Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 06:17 AM

My wife has heard that our cellphone may work when we are in ports ? We are with Verizon , does anyone know if they will work in the western caribbean ? A long distance charge would not be a problem .
Old 01-26-2005, 06:17 AM

My wife has heard that our cellphone may work when we are in ports ? We are with Verizon , does anyone know if they will work in the western caribbean ? A long distance charge would not be a problem .
Old 01-26-2005, 06:32 AM

What specific ports will you be visiting? It will certainly work if you go to Key West. I wouldn't rely on the cell phone service, however. It may work, but on numerous occassions I have found that in some ports one service works while others will not and in many cases people who used the same cell phone service did not get the same results. One was connected while the person right next to them was getting no service. Bring it and hope that it will work, but you are usually just better off purchasing an international phone card from the port. Usually cheaper and more reliable.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-26-2005, 06:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NancyN:
What specific ports will you be visiting? It will certainly work if you go to Key West. I wouldn't rely on the cell phone service, however. It may work, but on numerous occassions I have found that in some ports one service works while others will not and in many cases people who used the same cell phone service did not get the same results. One was connected while the person right next to them was getting no service. Bring it and hope that it will work, but you are usually just better off purchasing an international phone card from the port. Usually cheaper and more reliable.
Nancy
We are doing the western run on The Marnier . labedee , Jamacia , Grand Camen and Cosemel .We were just hopeing to be able to talk to our house/dog sitter .
Old 01-26-2005, 08:33 AM

Your phone will definitely work in Grand Cayman and Cozumel, but you will need to add the international service to your contract. Get a hold of Verizon and let them know you want to use it and they can fix you up.

Tom
Old 01-26-2005, 09:35 AM

Chevy:
I have Cingular and have made three calls to their service and stopped by their office to find out several things:

1) Depends on your type of phone too. Your phone has to be a certain frequency to take international calls.

2) Your customer service should be able to tell you the rates for roaming. Even though we have the national plan here, there is a separate plan which Nancy/Tom referred to. On Cingular, we'd pay a higher roaming fee (79 cents on some islands, and $1.99 on other islands). We're going to same islands as you on Mariner.

3) The Intl. plan covers different rates, if callers from here are trying to reach us, i.e. 29 cents, vs. if we don't get the plan and they call us from U.S. it may cost them $.69 or $1.49, depending on which port we are at.

4) Text messaging: would cost us .10 to receive a message, but would cost us .50 to send a text message.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:01 PM

I have T-Mobile and it worked in the western Caribbean and even on the ship. I did not have to dial an international #
Old 01-26-2005, 05:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dolphin:
I have T-Mobile and it worked in the western Caribbean and even on the ship. I did not have to dial an international #
I have heard everything in the world on this ? I just want to call home 2 or 3 times to check on my PUG ...Chevy !!!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:33 AM

I just called Verizon and they told me that our phone would only work in Mexico ? I have seen on here that some peoples phones work almost everywhere ? I guess I will just have to wait and see . Chevy
Old 09-25-2005, 11:36 PM

How about Rogers Cellular? Thanks

Closed Thread

Tags
carribean, cell, charges, distance, islands, long, phone, western, work