Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 01:54 PM
I was on an " Immersion" cruise in 1994 on the old American Hawaii S.S. Independence; except they didn't call it that. Hula lessons, ukulele lessons, Hawiian decor, lectures on Hawiian history, culture, cuisine, horticulture; luaus, deck parties, lei making; and this was just the onboard stuff.

I was so "immersed" it was ten years before I had any desire to return to the Islands.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I was so "immersed" it was ten years before I had any desire to return to the Islands.
Would that include Trader Vic's too?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:15 PM
It would, indeed!
Old 05-27-2008, 03:51 PM

this immersion cruising sound good, it is a big world out there. the world does not start in seattle and end in miami. If you dont want this then dont book

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-27-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dodonnell72:
this immersion cruising sound good, it is a big world out there. the world does not start in seattle and end in miami. If you dont want this then dont book
firstable, dodonnell72 welcome to cruise chat. Now, as you can read on the thread, the travel agents are not even sure which cruises are considered "immersion cruises". So when doing a booking for a custumer, they may book an immersion cruise without knowing as there is not a fore warning about it. I for one would be pleasantly surprise and make the best out of it and think this is a great idea. But, I am always willing to try something new. However, that may not be someone elses cup of tea.
Carnival Glory 9/06
Mariner of the Seas 5/07
Freedom of the Seas 9/07
Sovereign of the Seas 2/08
Enchantment of the Seas 4/08
Liberty of the Seas 9/08
Independence " 11/08
Freedom of the Seas 5/09

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-28-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
I just got a call from someone doing a 14 day Asia/Far East itin with RCCL. I understand they're experimenting with a new concept for these itins and some South America itins. They will serve foods in all the dining venues based on the diets of the locals. Also, they'll gear entertainment toward the locals an their native languages instead of english. This was news to me so I called RCCL and they confirmed that they do indeed have immersion cruises for these and some other itins. The young lady I spoke with had to put me on hold several times to verify the information and get back to me with dates and details. She said she didn't even have of total list of these unique sailings.

Is anyone out there familliar with this program? I couldn't get a lot of info but she speculated it was a way of trying to get more bookings from the population in regions where the ships will be sailing. I'd sure like to know more.

Cheers, Neil
Hello folks,
we are on Jewle of The Seas 6/27/08 out of England. When we booked this cruise last June there was and has not been any guidance about this cruise being a immersion cruise. There is nothing on the rccl web site to this effect. Yet, when we called rccl we were informed that "yes this a immersion cruse which will highly effect the launguage, food retail and entertainmnet of this cruise". Now we are from the states, we have traveled all over the world, we love to try new cultures and food..etc We are all for inclusion! However, we have sailed with rccl for the past 6 yrs and were huge supporters of theier product! However, this cruise was not the product we purchased! Only after final payment was made and hotel, plane ticket paid for did this news come out. If I had known this was an immersion cruise that would be one thing..but it didnt happen that way. This situation is smialar to buying a care and upon rec. your car you then discover the color, model, transmition are wrong! I would love to continue sailing with rccl but how am i suppose to feel about what has happened. That rccl has not tryed to get ahead of this thing is beyond me!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:23 AM

Hi ddean52, welcome to Cruise-Chat. It sounds like your in for an adventure you hadn't planned on. I understand your anger with RCI, but am hoping that this will be a very positive experience for you. I'm not sure if you are within your window for penalties, but if not, maybe you could get them to switch you to another cruise. However, if you are, this may turn out to be a fantastic experience. I would, however, let them know in writing before you sail that you are not pleased with their tactics. Best wishes for a wonderful cruise, and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ddean52:
quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
I just got a call from someone doing a 14 day Asia/Far East itin with RCCL. I understand they're experimenting with a new concept for these itins and some South America itins. They will serve foods in all the dining venues based on the diets of the locals. Also, they'll gear entertainment toward the locals an their native languages instead of english. This was news to me so I called RCCL and they confirmed that they do indeed have immersion cruises for these and some other itins. The young lady I spoke with had to put me on hold several times to verify the information and get back to me with dates and details. She said she didn't even have of total list of these unique sailings.

Is anyone out there familliar with this program? I couldn't get a lot of info but she speculated it was a way of trying to get more bookings from the population in regions where the ships will be sailing. I'd sure like to know more.

Cheers, Neil
Hello folks,
we are on Jewle of The Seas 6/27/08 out of England. When we booked this cruise last June there was and has not been any guidance about this cruise being a immersion cruise. There is nothing on the rccl web site to this effect. Yet, when we called rccl we were informed that "yes this a immersion cruse which will highly effect the launguage, food retail and entertainmnet of this cruise". Now we are from the states, we have traveled all over the world, we love to try new cultures and food..etc We are all for inclusion! However, we have sailed with rccl for the past 6 yrs and were huge supporters of theier product! However, this cruise was not the product we purchased! Only after final payment was made and hotel, plane ticket paid for did this news come out. If I had known this was an immersion cruise that would be one thing..but it didnt happen that way. This situation is smialar to buying a care and upon rec. your car you then discover the color, model, transmition are wrong! I would love to continue sailing with rccl but how am i suppose to feel about what has happened. That rccl has not tryed to get ahead of this thing is beyond me!

This post makes the point I was trying to get across originally. They should simply disclose this change, not necessarily eliminate it. They are now providing the needed disclosure so hats off for recognizing it was a bad idea to approach it as they initially did.

I'm sorry for you and many others, the information was so late in being offered. I've sent a number of emails and made several phone calls to get the word out and so far everyone I've contacted has been fine with the whole immersion idea, they just resented, as you do, not being notified when they booked. Hopefully this is a lesson learned by RCI and in the future they'll plan better for disclosing changes in their policy. They are not the only offender in changing policy without notice. When HAL was playing with smoking policy they sent notification, then changed the policy to something very different several times without further notification of the changes. I think they're still, many months later, modifying the rules. Every time they change they make many people very angry over the new rules so they modify them again. Used to be that you couldn't rely on anything verbal from anyone at the cruiselines and needed it in writing to be sure. Now even what's in writing (or not in writing anywhere) is often suspect. I don't care what the changes are, they just need to notify everyone affected when they make drastic changes. Makes for better public relations that way.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
asia, asian, caribbean, carnival, cruise, cruises, experiences, immersion, immrrsion, italian, rccl, review, reviews, royal, spanish