Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2007, 12:23 PM

First, thanks to anybody that responds. I literally registered two minutes ago.

I'm 31, and my wife is 28. I was working overseas (Trinidad & Tobago) when we got married, and we never had an official honeymoon, since we just lingered around the islands until my transfer a few weeks later. I would like to solve this "problem", as a surprise gift to my wife.

I have been toying with the idea of a cruise to South America, starting in Santiago and ending in Buenos Aires. This seems ideal to us, as we both love to travel, and have never been this far south before. My wife has never been on a cruise, and she would certainly never expect this as a surprise, which makes it that much more appealing to me.

However, I do have some concerns.

I'm confident that there will be plenty to do/eat/drink/etc. throughout the trip. I'm most concerned about the potential yawning age gap between us and fellow travelers. It's not that we can't or won't enjoy meeting older travelers, but let's face it: people generally have more fun around people in their age range.

So, are we a tad on the young side for this? Or should be just accept that we'll be eating with retirees for 14 days?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:18 PM

Hi SocaWarrior, welcome to Cruise-Chat. What a wonderful surprise to give your wife. Typically the longer the itinerary, the older the demographics. It does depend on the itinerary and the time of year, but the norm is an older clientelle for a 14 day itinerary. I don't think you'll have much to worry about, there is always a good mix on board and there will be people in your age group. Even though I am much closer to retirement age than you, we've been on many 10-14 day itineraries and have met people in all age groups. Don't count out us in our 50s, we can still hang with the best , but I do know what you mean. There will be others that you can have fun with. Always remember, if you're not happy with your tablemates you can request to be seated elsewhere. They will do everything in their power to make your voyage a memorable one. Best wishes and have a wonderful cruise! Be warned though, cruising is addictive
Old 08-28-2007, 01:20 PM

First off, Weclome to Cruise Chat!

Next, what makes you think you will be eating with Retirees the whole time? It truly depends on what cruise line you sail on. Even then there are very few of them that are ALL old folks in a tub. We cruised for our Honeymoon and were with people our own age and every cruise since we were never "the kids" at the table. What cruise line are you thinking of using? When are you planning to do this (time of year can determine if family are on board.

I would say go for it. Even if you did end up with mostly older folks, you will still have a great time.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-28-2007, 02:53 PM

Again, thank you for addressing my main concern.

I've been leaning toward Royal Caribbean, particularly in November 2008 on "Radiance of the Seas". Norweigan has a similar itinerary, but after combing through reviews, blogs, etc., it seems Royal Caribbean might be more suited for us.

All of my past cruises have been in the summer; however, I should note that all of those were 17+ years ago. I clearly remember being the youngest aboard, but I also thought that 30 was old then. Regardless, those were some good times.

TV commercials alone have shown me that the cruise scene has changed. But since this is a longer trip to more distant locations in late fall, I was just curious on what more recently-experienced cruise aficionados might have to say.

Best regards.

Closed Thread

Tags
14, age, america, criuse, cruise, cruises, day, group, south