Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 AM

As of today, I can make an online reservation for Portofinos (sp?) on the AOS cruise this September.

Does anyone have a suggestions as to which day I should pick? I don't want to miss formal night (usually Monday and Friday, I think). I wish there was a way to see what the dining room menu would be for each day, so I could choose what I would miss.

Has anyone used the online reservation system yet? Can I get a refund if I change my mind?

I'm sure I could find this all out myself, but I'm being lazy and have a meeting in 5 minutes. Plus, you guys are more informative anyway.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 AM

As of today, I can make an online reservation for Portofinos (sp?) on the AOS cruise this September.

Does anyone have a suggestions as to which day I should pick? I don't want to miss formal night (usually Monday and Friday, I think). I wish there was a way to see what the dining room menu would be for each day, so I could choose what I would miss.

Has anyone used the online reservation system yet? Can I get a refund if I change my mind?

I'm sure I could find this all out myself, but I'm being lazy and have a meeting in 5 minutes. Plus, you guys are more informative anyway.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:08 PM

I don't know where Sonny is, he must be on another cruise. I haven't done it on RCI, but on Princess, what they did was give you a a reservation card. You presented it to the maitre d' when you entered the restaurant. Then it was charged to your shipboard account that evening. I would assume RCI would do something similar and if you changed your mind, they would refund you fee. According to what I read, the surcharge is to cover the tips, so if you don't partake of the food/service, you wouldn't owe it. Are you getting nervous?
Old 06-25-2008, 01:47 PM

I would like if it worked that way. But, if I were RCI, I would require people to pay up front. If you don't have to pay right away, it opens the system up to abuse. People will just reserve a table, whether they really plan on using it or not, just so they don't lose the spot. Then other people who really want the spot are out of luck.

I guess I just need to stop being lazy and check out the process for myself. I'm sure the website explains it all.

Nervous about the wedding? I have moments when I think about what we need to do, and I get a little nervous, but it passes pretty quickly. She is a bit more stressed out than I am. I plan on being very productive this weekend - going to reserve a tux, buy my ring, and maybe some other stuff. When we finally get down to apartment seaching, I think the stress will start to kick in.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:04 PM

Penny, I just wish I was on another cruise—like Dave. I've been around—I'm just in a low key mode for awhile.

Making reservations for Portofinos can be done on line 60 days prior to sailing, and up to 10 days before the sail date. This is a new service that has been in place within the past year. Once you've made your reservation, you can always change the date once aboard the ship. So, I wouldn't be too concerned what day you pick. I like to wait until I'm on board before I make a reservation for Portofinos or Chops.

Sonny
Old 06-26-2008, 05:50 AM

Thanks, Sonny.

I actually stopped being lazy and went through the online process last night. You can choose the day and time of your dinner, and are required to pay the $20/pp fee upfront. However, you are allowed to cancel (or change times, I assume) if you wish. If you cancel at least 10 days before the cruise, you receive a refund back to the credit card you paid with. If you cancel less than 10 days before the cruise, or while onboard, you receive a refund as a credit on your ship account.

I reserved Portofino's on Wednesday and Thursday night, both at 8 o'clock. I think 8 is a pretty prime time, which may be hard to get later on, so I'm glad I did it now. I plan on calling RCI later today to see if these conflict with formal night or anything else.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:55 AM

Yes, I was referring to the wedding. It's getting close. Good luck with your apartment hunting. I was hoping you'd be able to get your money back if you changed your mind or couldn't make your reservation for some reason. Thanks, Sonny!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:16 AM

Thanks, Penny! The first of two bridal showers is this weekend - we've been doing alot of work, so it will be nice to get some gifts for it hahaha! Maybe a little selfish of me, but who doesn't like gifts!?! But more importantly, Heather should have a really good time.

AS for getting my money back, I'm thinking about only doing one night at Portofinos now. If I decide that, I'll update everyone on how easy it is to get the refund. (looks like I'm the one abusing the system now )

Closed Thread

Tags
aos, cancel, make, portofinos, reservations