Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 06:49 PM

A friend and I are traveling on Liberty of the Seas from Miami on a Saturday this September. We have not booked our flights yet, but will probably fly in very early the day the flight leaves. Is it possible to check our bags on the ship and then spend some in Miami? If we get to the airport at 8:30, what can we do all day since the ship takes off in the evening?
Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:21 AM

This is what we have learned - The ship will not take your bags early. In the morning they are busy getting everyone off the ship. They should start taking your bags around noon.

We took a early flight (once) never again - by the time you get up early - get to the airport two hours early - then fly - by the time you get to Miami you are ready to go to bed.

We are cruising again in July - We are leaving from Washington D.C. We are flying at 11:20 a.m. (This way we are not getting up so early)-
Will be in Miami about 2 o'clock - We spend the night at Doubletree or Marriott (about $120 - $150 a night). We take a taxis to the Hotel about $25.00 - Check into our room - Take the City Bus ($1.50 per person each way)to South Beach - We have a early dinner in South Beach - Then by 4:30 we are at the beach until Sunset. (Or you could just hit all the bars)

The next day we sleep in a little - check out the boats around our hotel - Then about noon we are off to the ship. (Taxis about $12.00 to ship)

We have found flying a day early gives us a chance to do a few more things and just works really will for us.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:45 AM

Hi Caribbean Cruiser, welcome to Cruise-chat. If at all possible, fly in the day before the cruise. This is the best idea for many reasons, flight delays, cancellations, lost luggage, etc. It also offers you a chance to rest before embarking on your cruise, as DSR stated. You will not have all day even if you arrived at 8:30, you would at best have a couple of hours. You have to take into consideration, claiming your luggage, finding transportation, if you rent a car to hold your luggage, getting your rental car. That would be at the minimum 1 hour. Then you would have to drive to south beach or Crandon Park or Villa Viscaya or where ever you wanted to visit, minimum 45 minutes, then visit, minimum 1 hour. You're now looking at noon to 1pm. You then have to return the car or head to the pier. Another hour. Then you have to wait in line to check in depending on the line anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. Then you board, find your room, unpack your carry-ons, if your luggage has arrived, unpack that, and make your way around the ship. You'd be cutting it very close, and you'd be exhausted. If you have to fly in the day of the cruise, your best bet is to arrive as early as possible, grab a bite to eat after you collect your luggage and head to the pier. Best wishes and have a wonderful cruise!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:13 AM

Hello Caribbean Cruiser, welcome to Cruise - Chat. DSR is correct about not getting aboard the ship much before noon. Once you're on the ship you'll be a able to go to the Windjammer (buffet) and enjoy a great lunch. You probably won't be able to go to your cabin before 1 PM. You have to be at the Muster drill at 4:30. I believe you'll want to explore the ship once you are on it. As long as you haven't booked your flights yet, you may want to consider flying in the day before if you want to see some of Miami. Most people find arriving a day early is a good idea, for a lot of different reasons.

Sonny
Old 06-12-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Caribbean Cruiser:
A friend and I are traveling on Liberty of the Seas from Miami on a Saturday this September. We have not booked our flights yet, but will probably fly in very early the day the flight leaves. Is it possible to check our bags on the ship and then spend some in Miami? If we get to the airport at 8:30, what can we do all day since the ship takes off in the evening?
Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions.
Welcome, Caribbean Cruiser. I think we can all relate to your screen name but good for you to get it.

Just an observation that you might want to note;
Planes, take-off. Ships, set sail.

You will find that some of us here are a little persnickity about the names you use. For instance it's a ship and never a boat, the staterooms are located on decks, not floors

Don't mind me, just a vain interruption in an otherwise meaningful thread.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:09 PM

Chef Ken, I was just wondering if they had witnessed the flying ships as well. I think it was in the General Cruise Chat board, brought a chuckle to my lips.

Closed Thread