Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2003, 05:22 PM

Just came back from a 7 day cruise on the Enchantment this past week. I was expecting terrible weather the entire time based on the weather channel websites, turns out every single day was just beautiful. Needless to say, we were shocked to find out our last port of call, grand cayman, had to be cancelled. Not because of inclement weather, I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day, it was because the tide was too rough and they couldn't anchor the boat. And even if they could, tendering passengers to the island would have been too dangerous. RCCL offered 1 hour of complimentary coctails (a choice of only 3 different ones), but then I thought, what kind of compensation would that be to those who don't drink? Has this happened to anyone and was anyone compensated at all for this?? We were hoping for another port of call (jamaica was close by), but they said it would delay our arrival back to Ft. lauderdale. I know this wasn't RCCL's fault, we watched 4 other cruise ships behind us turn around as well. I'm glad they were concerned for our safety, but grand cayman was the port of call we were looking forward to the most and it was such a disappointment. Is there anything at all we can do about this??

Amy
Old 04-01-2003, 05:22 PM

Just came back from a 7 day cruise on the Enchantment this past week. I was expecting terrible weather the entire time based on the weather channel websites, turns out every single day was just beautiful. Needless to say, we were shocked to find out our last port of call, grand cayman, had to be cancelled. Not because of inclement weather, I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day, it was because the tide was too rough and they couldn't anchor the boat. And even if they could, tendering passengers to the island would have been too dangerous. RCCL offered 1 hour of complimentary coctails (a choice of only 3 different ones), but then I thought, what kind of compensation would that be to those who don't drink? Has this happened to anyone and was anyone compensated at all for this?? We were hoping for another port of call (jamaica was close by), but they said it would delay our arrival back to Ft. lauderdale. I know this wasn't RCCL's fault, we watched 4 other cruise ships behind us turn around as well. I'm glad they were concerned for our safety, but grand cayman was the port of call we were looking forward to the most and it was such a disappointment. Is there anything at all we can do about this??

Amy
Old 04-01-2003, 06:26 PM

I had a friend that also went on a cruise that had grand cayman taken away from their itinerary, and was very dissapointed, however she did not mention the cruise line doing anything to compensate them. We recently cruised for the first time on Carnival, and was very dissapointed to learn that St. Martin was taken from our itinerary due to a problem with the ships speed, and not getting us to the first port on time, therefore our entire itinerary was affected. We were also very upset, having never cruised before i guess i did not know how frequently this can happen. Carnival did credit each guest $25 to their cabin, and the very next day informed us that we would be able to make a short stop in Nassau, Bahamas to compensate for our loss. They quickly offered up some shore excursions and we were very pleased by their efforts in accomodating us. I do agree with you on the gratuity drinks, what good does that do if you are not a drinker?? I would have rather had ship credit to be used as you wished. As i mentioned i have only cruised once, so hopefully someone else will have some better advice on how to handle the compensation issue for you. I must say that i was very happy with how Carnival handled ours with the credit and the added port of Nassau.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:17 PM

Wow, you got a cabin credit AND another port of call?? I would have been very happy with that. I would have loved for them to take us to Jamaica, but like I said, time wouldn't have allowed us to. Any other suggestions or stories on this?

Amy

Closed Thread

Tags
inclement, weather