Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2007, 07:56 AM
I went to the review board and I noticed where people put Cruise to nowhere... what does that mean exactly, how do you cruise nowhere?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Administrator

A cruise to nowhere (or CTN, as some like to say) is a cruise with that starts and ends in the same place and makes no ports of call. They're usually one or two nights. I've done a couple of two-nighters as quick weekend getaways.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator

CTNs are often done when new ships debut. Prior to a new ship starting it's regular schedule, they will often have several 1 and 2 night cruises for agents, travel writers, loyalty passengers, and other dignitaries. These are free to them since the goal is to show off the ship and garner good press.

Other times a ship may be swapping itineraries and a couple of days of dead time in the schedule may result. Rather than let the ship sit empty at the pier, the line will have a CTN.

I've never done one but would like to! Obviously it helps to live close enough to the ship that you could drive to it. It really isn't worth it to have to fly for such a short cruise - at least to me.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:12 PM

Dave, I understand what you mean, we come all the way from Canada, did a 3 day in Nov. We had to take two flights to bring us to Miami for a 3 day cruise but I still say it is worth it. We are doing it again in March but 7 days. Ya hoo!!!
Leigh

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 01-21-2007, 05:29 AM

I have never been on a CTN but live 5 minutes from the Norfolk VA port. Carnival does 1-2 CTNs out of Norfolk a year and I look foward to trying one out.
Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the seas (4/9/07)
Old 01-21-2007, 07:43 AM

My first CTN was on the Fascination out of Newport News, Va in May 1999. It was a one-night and all the booze was free. I don't think Carnival has had the booze free on CTN since. I find Carnival's CTN have gotten very expensive. You can go on three or four night cruises for what they are asking for two nights on the Victory out of Norfolk in June and October. I have gone on other CTN on Costa, and NCL and RCI.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator

I've been on two CTNs, both two nights, and both out of Boston.

One was a charter from a local travel agency (not the one I use) in 2002, on Norwegian Majesty. It was expensive for a weekend, and included all drinks, including alcoholic ones. I'm not a big drinker, but it was so nice to order my usual club soda with lime in the show lounge and not have to sign for it. This particular cruise was one that was fit in between a drydock and the start of the Bermuda season.

Our other one was in August 2000 on Premier's SeaBreeze, my favorite ship. During that summer, Premier ran them regularly, alternating with 5-night cruises to Atlantic Canada. This was made via regular booking, and was exactly like having a sea day on a typical cruise. We had a fabulous time, and actually rebooked another weekend CTN for the next month. But, the line went out of business just one day before we were to board.

I've considered a couple from Carnival out of New York, but something always came up that prevented me from going. We also looked at a 4-night CTN on Queen Mary 2 from New York, but the cost turned us off to that one right away.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:01 AM
So correct me if I am wrong. From all that I am reading a CTN is just you are out to sea for a day or two and then back to port is this correct?

Old 01-22-2007, 07:47 AM
That's it!

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, norfolk, review, va