Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 11:39 AM

We went in January about 4 years ago--Weather varied. It was fabulous in Belize, we snorkeled all day. It was great in Cozumel--beach day. It was so cold in Costa Maya we wore our shirts doubled up and huddled under towels for the duration of our ship sponsored "beach break". We went in March once and it was about 60 degrees F in Jamaica and all the locals were freezing but we tubed down the river and thought it was great. I would go in January again if I got the great price we were offered previously--2 out of 3 port days were fantastic and even the third was warmer than it was at home in Minnesota.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-19-2008, 12:32 PM
So I guess snorkeling is out of the question. Does anybody know which excursions is good in caymen and ocho rios? Labadee is beautiful without excursions.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So I guess snorkeling is out of the question.
Just because one member said the weather varied four years ago? What if it was hot three years ago? Don't let anecdotal evidence guide your choices.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:06 AM

I wouldn't say snorkeling is out of the question. Especially on Cozumel. The water temperature could be in the mid 70's to higher.

Serenity now,

Dwayne
Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 AM

Don't rule out snorkeling--just be aware that you could have a bad luck weather day--my previous post is a case in point: we had a lousy day on Jamaica in MARCH, and a couple great days in January! And, we enjoyed ourselves on all the days in spite of the weather.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Casanova
Actually I did not mean there are usually hurricanes on January, but as Dave mentioned, they could happen and with the world going crazy with global warming I know one day they will...
But there are a few other things you have to worry,I cannot tell you about conzumel but As I know from experience on PR the climate can give oportunity for a variety of jellyfish to "mate" on tropical waters by January and also other kinds animals, fishes as well, that is one of the main things you have to consider if you book a snorkeling tour
GOOGLE it before booking and check out any risk in the are you will be visiting just in case

note
Well the map keep updating, didn't know that before posting it, it looks like we are going to have a few other active storms near by...
Old 08-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Jellyhfish? Very interesting, no snorkeling for me this time. I will wait for my neht cruz in June 2009 with Liberty of the sea.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:08 AM

That is interesting. We don't usually get a lot jellyfish here near the beaches until August. I actually have never seen one while snorkeling in the Caribbean in Sept/Oct. Thanks for the heads up Cas about January.

Dwayne
Old 08-26-2008, 04:10 AM

Hey gang,

My wife and I have been to the Caribbean via Royal Caribbean for three straight years in December (twice out of San Juan on the Adventure and once out of Galveston on the Rhapsody) and I can tell you the weather was beautiful. In fact, last December, everyday was in the upper 80's. I am actually a big sissy when it comes to cold water and the water has always been warm enough for me. We went snorkeling in Aruba (2 times), St Martin (2 times), Trunk Bay (St. Johns) and Grand Cayman and all of those were great! The only time we experienced cooler weather was when we left out of Galveston. It was cold (low 60's) from there to Key West and once we turned south to Grand Caymen it warmed up nicely. That is one reason that my wife and I are willing to fly all the way down to San Juan...because the Southern Caribbean is warmer in the winter.

I know that high 80's is unusual in the winter, but I think the average temp is about 82 in the Southern Caribbean in the winter.

I hope this helps.

Brad

Old 08-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Whether you like it or not-I personally gaurantee that you will have weather in January!

BillyBuzzy

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, caribean, carnival, cruise, cruising, eastern, florida, january, majesty, reviews, royal, seas, tampa, weather