Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 43
Ok so i have a 15 year old and her father is deceased so i have his death cert. and i have custody, dont think she will be a problem BUT i have a 11 year old and i have custody but his father is close but there is no contact with him and if i read it right he has to sign. He is already livid thinking he is paying for this cruise with his child support lol (NOT) but i prob wont be able to get a signature. can i just take my divorce papers you think?

Maybe someone has dealt with this recently.

El Greco: Jamaica Resort
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2007, 01:23 PM
TrvlPro's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 2,172
The rule for taking minor children out of the country is that if only one parent is traveling, they must have a signed and notorized letter at the pier. The letter needs to state that the parent taking the child has agreement of the the other parent to leave the country with the child. The only exceptions I'm aware of are in the event of a death of one parent (you've covered this one) or if there is no second parent listed on the birth certificate of the child.

They don't usually even ask for this letter at the pier even though they are supposed to every time. If they do and you don't have the letter you can be denied boarding. Unless there is another high profile custody case in the news of a parent fleeing the custody hearing by taking the child out of the country, it's not likely to come up or that you'd be denied boarding if you have custody papers with you. I'd get the letter if possible, you never know when they'll crack down on such enforcement again or how strict the customs agent you get will decide to be. It's just not worth the chance of losing your cruise and your money.

Cheers, Neil
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,030
To clarify; if your divorce papers state you have shared custody then you need a notorized letter from the father. If you have sole legal custody you don't need the letter from the father, but take the divorce papers with you to prove it.
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16
Correct. If you have full custody no signature is needed from the other parent.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2007, 06:20 PM
TrvlPro's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 2,172
Wow, thanks for the previous two posts. I have been misinformed and misinforming my clients as well. I just looked it up on the US State Dept's website (not that I didn't believe the posters, both very knowlegable folks I trust) so I have the resource at my fingertips for future reference. I'll post the info found below. Thanks Cruise Fanatic and Island Breeze!

5. Present Parental Application Permission Documentation
(for minors under age 14)

1. Both parents must appear together and sign or

2. One parent appears, signs, and submits second parent's notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (a notarized Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14 , or a notarized written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper from the non-appearing parent) or

3. One parents appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (such as one of the following):

Child's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or
Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order); or
Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent); or
Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child; or
Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
Death certificate of non-applying parent.
If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent/guardian should submit a Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14 .


A third-party in loco parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 14 must submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 43
Thanks for all our help

El Greco: Jamaica Resort
Closed Thread

caribbean, child, consent, country, cruise, custody, divorce, form, leave, letter, parent, parental, passports, royal, statement

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
passports kskelley40 General Cruise Chat 5 02-10-2009 04:08 PM
Passports Jim1012 Royal Caribbean Cruise Line 9 06-26-2008 05:05 PM
RCC vs Celebrity with kids (leave kids home??) snorkler8 Royal Caribbean Cruise Line 18 04-08-2007 07:40 AM
Checking kids into kids camp! Chase Royal Caribbean Cruise Line 8 07-26-2006 08:42 PM
RCC vs Celebrity with kids (leave kids home??) Celebrity Cruises 18 12-31-1969 04:00 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:49 AM.

Contact Us - Terms of Use - Cruise Reviews Home - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2