Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 04:07 PM

I know cells don't work on cruise ships but there is no reason why the other stuff on there won't work , is there? I want to use mine for an alarm. Just a passing thought.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 02-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Administrator

I don't know, I don't use alarm clocks on cruises. It runs counterproductive to the relaxation aspect.

You can set up a wake-up call for your cabin.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:31 PM

Your cell phones other functions (alarm, camera, notebook, etc...) will work properly on the cruise.

Your phone will work as well. But, I would strongly recommend not using it unless it was an emergency. As my fiance and I found out on our last cruise, the roaming charges are astronimical. It's cheaper to use the ships phone!
Old 02-18-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shelby:
I know cells don't work on cruise ships but there is no reason why the other stuff on there won't work , is there? I want to use mine for an alarm. Just a passing thought.
On our last cruise I had Nextel and in every port I had plenty of bars but I had a message that said "restricted." I couldn't use it. The other features should work though.

I'm kind of with Dave on this. I don't know why I would want an alarm on a cruise.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:41 PM

Yes, your cell phone's other functions will still work.. but (there is always a but)

If you use a CDMA service (Verizon and Sprint) the phone gets its tiem via GPS when in its network. (Some people don't know this, but your cell phone's clock is dead on...) So, without the network, the clock on the cell phone can get WAY off depending on the accuracy of its circuit.

Also, if you do try to use it for the alarm clock and or camera, switch it to "stand alone" mode if it has one. This is where is does not try to talk to the cell network. If you are out of coverage, the battery life will plummet because the phone will go to "full power" trying to connect.

If all you want it for is the alarm, you may be better off just setting a wake up call on the cabin phone then messing with you phone.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-18-2007, 07:32 PM

Oh, getting up early is the best part. The best time on the ship is before 7 am. I don't drive myself crazy with the time..but would like a quick beep to tell me its 6 am. The cabins are so dark and quiet I would hate it if I accidentally slept till 10 am. Thats what Saturdays in virginia are for.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 02-18-2007, 07:44 PM

Your phone will work fine for an alarm clock. You can also place a wake-up call from your cabin phone.

Sonny
Old 02-19-2007, 08:36 AM

I gotta agree with Shelby, getting up is the best part of a vacation. You go there to see diffent parts of the world. why sleep in until 10 or 11. You can do it on a normal sat. or sun. at home.

But i would not be too concerned about bringing a cell phone on board. Why do you need to have others be in touch with you. Vacations are for being left alone with your loved ones and enjoy without any interference from Jealous friends or family members.

As everyone else has mentioned on this thread, stateroom phones have a wake up call feature. Use it frequently.
Enjoy

Caribbean All Inclusive Resorts

Old 02-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

I am a senior member of the early risers society! I like to get up early and watch the sun rise while having a cup of coffee or tea, and a pastry or two. This provides a tremendous sense of well-being for me.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

I agree -- the best time on the ship is just before the sun rises, literally watching the dawn of a new day. I enjoy time up on deck, with a cup of tea, while most passengers are still asleep.

I admit that I do set an alarm (I have a small, battery-operated travel alarm clock), as this is one aspect of the cruise I do not want to miss. There's plenty of time for a nap in a deck chair later in the day.

Closed Thread