Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 02:49 AM

We have been assigned a room number, but when I called RCCL about it they (our travel agent,didn't book through the cruise line) failed to ask if we had any special needs. I told the rep from RCCL that my hubby was 100% disabled and she said that they have to provide us an accessable handicap room ( he isn't in a wheelchair but walks with a cane and has mobility issues at times) if we ask for one. I have to call our travel agent to get her to call RCCL to make the change. The Rep was a supervisor in resolutions and she said that they have to provide for his needs at no extra cost even if the room is on a higher deck and even if the room is bigger. There is only, from what I can tell 10 asscessable rooms on the ship. What happens if they run out of those rooms? Just thought I would try to get some imput here if you have any advice. The lady said they have to give us the accessable room because of the dissability act. She also said it will be much nicer than where we are. I tried to get a room closer to the elevator so he doesn't have far to walk, but with the gaurantee the room that we have now is like maybe 10-15 rooms from the elevator. That is why she suggested us getting the handicap room.

Barb
Old 01-05-2010, 12:28 PM

I think you will be very happy with a handicap cabin. They are larger, in better locations, and designed for people with special needs. I am surprised your travel agent didn't ask you if you had any special requirements. Depending on your sail date, there shouldn't be any trouble getting a cabin, if there is enough lead time. You might have to readjust your sail date, but probably not. Was this after you printed your set sail pass? If so, that does mean that your cruise is soon. We'll be offering best wishes that all plans will be smooth!
Old 01-05-2010, 04:25 PM

Penny,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, our travel agent failed to ask us if there were special needs passengers in our party. Our cruise is on February 20-25 on Grandeur of The Seas. I've been told that we have to be on a waiting list for the accessable rooms and once they are available we have to provide proof that my husband is disabled. That isn't a problem though. Now we have to wait and see. Hopefully it will get worked out. By the way, I haven't printed anything out yet.

Barb
Old 01-05-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
when I called RCCL about it they (our travel agent,didn't book through the cruise line) failed to ask if we had any special needs. I told the rep from RCCL that my hubby was 100% disabled
Barb, with all due respect, didn't you think to mention to the travel agent that your husband is 100% disabled? Seems to me that would be a pretty important thing for the agent to know up front, so she could suggest and book the appropriate venue and accommodations for you.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 PM

Well, Sandy ....

We've been on 2 cruises with Carnival and they asked me without me having to say anything both times. I had to send in a a from with all his medications he is taking. I also have a son who is in Navy basic training in Chicago and will graduate soon, and a lot of other things going on with 3 of my other kids and just simply FORGOT! As soon as I remembered a day later I called RCCL and told them what happened and the agent on the phone said that regardless that is one of the questions cruise travel agents are supposed to ask. There is a disability act as well protecting my husband. We have proof from doctor's that he is 100% disabled. The lady when I called back the second time was a supervisor and I told her that if we could just get a room closer to the elevator it would be fine (she informed me that we could get a accessable room), but she told me that we have a right to get one if they are available at no extra charge even if they are on a higher floor.

Barb
Old 01-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Why didn't you call your agent and tell them about the handicap and have the agent contact RCI?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:13 PM

It's very inappropriate for a cruise line reservation agent to make a comment to a passenger on what a travel agent should or shouldn't be doing. They should simply answer your questions, and if it's something that the travel agent needs to correct then they should simply advise that information.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 PM

***I have to call our travel agent to get her to call RCCL to make the change.***

I did call our travel agent - the above sentence is in my original post. I also stated that we have to be on waiting list for a handicap room in a previous post in this thread. We are waiting to hear back from our travel agent because they have to wait for other people to provide proof and if they don't we can get one of these rooms. I am going to call back tomorrow to touch base with our travel agent and have them call the cruise line. :-) I am sure it will get worked out.

Barb
Old 01-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
my hubby was 100% disabled and she said that they have to provide us an accessable handicap room ( he isn't in a wheelchair but walks with a cane and has mobility issues at times)
Barb, the accessible cabins are usually reserved for folks who ARE in a wheelchair. Accessible means the light switches and sink can be reached by someone seated in a wheelchair, there are wider doorways to accommodate a chair, etc. I'm not sure what advantages that room has for someone who can walk, even poorly, but I hope you get one if that's what you want.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:39 PM

Another suggestion: Check into renting a powered scooter - it makes it a lot easier for a person that has difficulty walking.

Sonny

Closed Thread

Tags
16, cayman, cruise, dec