Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2006, 06:22 PM

hello everyone!
I am not new to cruising, in total have been on 5 cruises all with Royal Caribbean. However I have never travelled during "hurricane season" and am looking at booking a cruise on the Liberty of the Seas next September or October. So I am just wondering if it is a hit and miss situation. Or anyone has travelled during a hurricane, well pretty much any info that can give me an idea. Thanx I appreciate it!
Old 11-03-2006, 06:48 PM

I have cruise and followed a hurricane (last year). IF there is a storm in your cruise area, the cruise ship will change course and/or ports to steer WAY clear. For the Liberty, it does alternate Eastern/Western Caribbean cruises.. so if there is a hurricane in the western cruise locations, they might change the cruise to the eastern. Or like in my case, they just reversed the ports of call order so that we "followed" the hurricane instead of getting in its way.

The biggest concern is if the hurricane hits your embarkation port (in this case Miami) when you are supposed to be boarding. Either the ship won't be able to get into port on time OR it may need to leave early. More likely your flights into Miami will be affected (if you plan on flying in the day before and staying overnight, that mimimizes that risk.

IF you are truly worried about it (Except for my Alaskan cruise ALL of my cruises have been in season and I have not had a cruise cancelled yet) take out trip insurance to cover the possibility that you cruise is affected. IF you have a choice book it as late into October as you can, the season officially ends n Novemeber but the later you can push it that less chance of a storm
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, change, cruise, forum, hurricane, liberty, royal, seas, ship