Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2005, 06:18 AM

Hello,

I am considering a cruise on RC, Serenade of the Seas, our first ever cruise, and when starting the reservation process at their web site and picking my room category, superior oceanview, I am presented with a choice of 6 different staterooms. Does this mean that there are only those 6 rooms left for my sailing date and also that your stateroom is assigned at point of booking - unlike a land resort? It seems most of these rooms are near stairwells, that can't be good? We definately want a room with a balconey which offers some privacy and I can be proned to motion sickness, any suggestions for rooms/decks?

What time does the ship usually board? I see it doesn't depart until late at night. Are you allowed on earlier in the day?

One more question. We were also looking at Princess because anytime dining really appeals to us. Are there enough options on RC that I won't have to be tied to a reservation? Any comparisons of the 2 ships? RC prices lower than Princess for my sail date - same ports of call- and yet reviews tend to be slightly more in RC's favour.

Thanking you all so much
Old 01-02-2005, 06:18 AM

Hello,

I am considering a cruise on RC, Serenade of the Seas, our first ever cruise, and when starting the reservation process at their web site and picking my room category, superior oceanview, I am presented with a choice of 6 different staterooms. Does this mean that there are only those 6 rooms left for my sailing date and also that your stateroom is assigned at point of booking - unlike a land resort? It seems most of these rooms are near stairwells, that can't be good? We definately want a room with a balconey which offers some privacy and I can be proned to motion sickness, any suggestions for rooms/decks?

What time does the ship usually board? I see it doesn't depart until late at night. Are you allowed on earlier in the day?

One more question. We were also looking at Princess because anytime dining really appeals to us. Are there enough options on RC that I won't have to be tied to a reservation? Any comparisons of the 2 ships? RC prices lower than Princess for my sail date - same ports of call- and yet reviews tend to be slightly more in RC's favour.

Thanking you all so much
Old 01-02-2005, 06:57 AM

The reason they give you 6 different choices, it's not that they are sold out, they want you to have the option of where your room is on the ship. Some people like toward the front, some people toward the back, some to the middle, you get the idea. It really depends on the cruisers preference. I would guess that the ship is no where near sold out if your being offered rooms by stairwells, those are the most coveted rooms. Since you've never cruised before you wouldn't probably know that the key to a great cruise is being able to get around the ship. You will probably be in your stateroom, maybe 8 hours of a 24hr day. Alot of people have there own quirks about motion sickness and which part of the ship to have their stateroom to prevent this. I am very prone to motion sickness. I get sick on coasters. We have the best luck with not getting sick in inside cabins. Back before 9-11, if your ship left at 5pm, you could actually board around 11. Now it takes so long for security processes you should probably shoot for about 1 to 2pm. No matter which cruise line you choose, you will never be hungry. Always food 24/7. My biggest advice to you personally is not to use the cruise lines website directly to book your cruise. Find a reputable cruise web T/A, their prices would be a fraction of the cost that you find on the cruise companies website. Just an example yesterday on RCCL's website: Promanade stateroom on Navigator for Oct'05 was $1324. per 1rst and 2nd cruiser, we booked the same room for $659. using someone else. Have fun is #1.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:19 AM

I have cruised Princess and RCL. There are differences, but I don't think I have a preference. I am actually going on the Sarenade in 2 weeks. The reason I picked a cruise from San Juan is because the seas are usually calmer in this area and we are taking 5 first time cruisers.

My wife and I get car sick and can't go a carnival rides because of motion sickness, but do not get sick on a cruise ship.(my wife takes Sea sick pills for a day or two) Sometimes if the ship hits rough water the first day I will fill a little light headed until I get my sea legs but after that it is OK. Two years ago we hit a storm with 25-30 ft waves on the last day of our cruise near the Bahamas (for half a day) and we did not get sick. Up until that day I would have said these ships were too big to feel any waves. It is very rare to have it this rough, normally you will barely feel any movement.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:18 AM

Thank you both for the info. I sure do appreciate it.

Alwaysonvacation, I won't book through RC's web site but looked through it to see the deck plans/ room location etc. If I had booked through thier site however, it seems to me I would be choosing the room I wanted from the six room numbers they offered. If the ships not near to sold out, I wonder how come only 6 rooms are showing? Good to know that stairs are a premium, I hadn't considered that.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:15 PM

Usually what they will show you is what they consider to be the 6 best available in each category. If you actually call them up they will give you alot more options. They dumb it down for their website. Hope I helped you.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:48 AM
Banned

Go to Expedia or Travelocity and checkout the cruise you want to take. Select the category and or price you want to pay. You will be shown the cabins available. If you do not give any info when they ask for payment and not choose the confirm botton you will not be booked. This will give you a good idea of pricing and rooms. It is fun to see the price ranges. Sometimes insides and balconies will cost more than a suite. My TA told me that the first room listed in the category is the best room for that category. Have fun and do some palying with the sites.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:50 AM

Whether being near the stairwells and/or elevators is a good thing, is a matter of preference. Alwaysonvacation is right that this would help speed your way around the ship, but it also has the potential of increasing the noise level in the hallway outside your cabin, and the traffic going by. I have found I prefer cabins that are not too far from the stairwell, but not right there.

Also true is that the cruise line will list what they consider the best available cabins in each category first. If you happen to prefer something else, you can keep looking.

For your first cruise, I'd recommend using a good cruise-oriented TA. They can often get somewhat better rates (though the extreme example given may not be available much longer, since cruise lines are clamping down on agencies who rebate their earnings in order to beat the cruise line's own prices) and in any case can offer you tips and advice for cruising that you might spend many hours fishing for online, with mixed success.

If you are prone to motion sickness, stay away from cabins near the bow. Midship (halfway between bow & stern) is best, toward the stern next best. Lower decks tend to have less motion, but won't have balcony cabins. The most balcony privacy will be found on the highest decks.

Good luck and have a great cruise - whatever you choose!

Closed Thread

Tags
anytime, cabin, call, cruiseweb, day, dining, line, motion, prevent, princess, rci, reputable, reservations, seas, serenade, sickness