My daughter is concerned about her Cruise and the Oil slick problem reaching Cococay and Nassau, Bahamas durning her August 23rd Cruise. Would the Cruise line have any plan to compensate travelers is unable to enjoy the beach there?
If it isn't the cruise line's fault then they have no reason to provide compensation. Coco Cay gets cancelled for other reasons too. At least a couple times a year the waters around the Berry Islands (Coco Cay is one of them) have large swells which makes tendering too dangerous. I've been at Coco Cay when heavy rain plagued us off and on all day. It happens. The only thing they are required to refund is the port fees for missed ports. Per the cruise contract, they don't have to stop anywhere if their are valid reasons for it.
But to the larger question here - the gulf stream is largely west of The Bahamas which means any oil that made it that far would likely be swept north with the main current and not be a problem at Coco Cay or Nassau.
Hi babe1636, welcome to Cruise-Chat! Yes, a ship sailing through an oil slick could cause damage to the ship. So far, it has not affected the east coast and doubt that it would. I am sure they will be able to navigate around, through, or change itineraries to keep their ships sailing. If the ships don't sail, there is no revenue, if there is no revenue they can't pay bills, if they can't pay bills, well...you know the rest.
I understand your concern, but the cruise lines will do whatever they have to do to keep sailing.
Dave and then Penny, I want to thank you both for your answers to my concerns. It a scare out there right now and we're trying to decide to go or cancel. No one can say exactly where the slick will be heading to in the next 60 days...just possibles. We just wanted to be aware of as much as possible at this time.
I wouldn't dwell on this. It's like trying to predict if a hurricane will affect a cruise. Some things you simply can't control, so you make your plans and go with them assuming all will be fine. In most cases it'll be fine. I don't live worrying about the "what if" factors.
Excellent advice! Daugher and I had a telephone call, she's in VA and I'm in Fl. We are going to go! My grandson is 13 and it will be his first curise (so really wanted it to be good) and my daughter went 18 years ago when she was single. My husband is pleased with this outcome (he just waited it out), lol. So, Dave, you have been an excellent person to give us good information. Looking forward to being able to do this with daughter and grandson!