Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005, 05:17 AM

Hello!

I and my girlfriend decided to take a cruise with Mariner of the Seas on the 9.10.2005.We will arrive to the Orlando airport on day before(8.10.2005)arround 20:30.We booked a hotel in the place called Kissimme.Now comes the problem.We need the transport to the hotel where we sleep and then the next day in the morning we need the transport to the Port Canaveral.After 7 days we need the saim again, only the other way.When we come back from cruise we stay in the saim hotel for four days, so we can explore the sights arround Orlando.I couldn't bellive when I saw the prices that you get in the airport!!! Can somebody tell me what would be the cheapest way to do this? We are not very picky but offcourse I don't want to pay a fortune for a such a short transfer.Cab,a bus or a rent-a-car, thats the question.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:48 AM

Hello Dejan,

its not a short transfer. Even from the Orlando airport to Kissimee its about a 20 minutes drive with a rental car. Depends of cause where your hotel is.
And from Orlando to Port Canaveral it´s about 15 miles.
But I´m sure, that some american cruisers can give you better advice, maybe Nancy.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:51 AM

Hi Dejan,
Actually Port Canaveral is about 55 miles from Orlando (50-60 minute ride), thus the higher cost of transfers. Mears Transportation at the airport does round trip transfers for $50 per person ($25 one-way). There are also many other shuttle services that offer similar service. I have inclued the link to Port Canaveral's website so you can check out other options.

http://www.portcanaveral.org/portinfo/groundtrans.htm

Of course, all of these require you to return to the airport for your transfer to the port.

You might want to check to see if your hotel in Kissimmee offers transfers to and from the airport.

Your best bet may be to consider renting a car for the pre-cruise portion. Pick-up at the airport, drive to the hotel and then drive to the Port the next day and drop the car off at the port and then do the same thing in reverse for the return to Kissimme - particularly since you will be staying in Orlando for a few days after the cruise.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-02-2005, 10:23 AM

Sorry Dejan and Nancy,

I took a look on the Port Canaveral website and they wrote something about 12 miles from Orlando to the Port, but it was the distance from I-95 to the port.
I was wondering about the distance, because we drove from Kissimmee to Cape Canaveral about 1 1/2 hour.
I also would say, Dejan send an email to your hotel in Kissimee and ask if they offer port transportion. We have done that in Jacksonville this year, too.

Marita

Old 08-03-2005, 03:56 AM

Thank you very,very much! We'll be first time in the States, so it's always nice to have some American advice.I have a few more questions. We would like to see Miami.Would it be better when we come from the cruise to go to the Miami because it's closer or would it be better to go to the Kenedy space center because we are olready there.But where must we put our laguage? What places are in Orlando not to miss, accept Disney world? For all your answers we can not thank you enaugh!
Old 08-03-2005, 04:50 AM

Hello Dejan,

In Orlando I would recommend Sea-World, a MUST when you are interested in dolphins, whales and other sea-animals.
Universal Studios are also worth to visit. It depends, how old you are, so if you are a little bit older, than go to Epcot-Center in place of Disney World.
For the evening I recommend Rosie o´Grady in Orlando for party.
But when you want to see all these places you have to rent a car. Because the distances are much more, than we are used to drive in Europe.
In Miami we prefer public transportation, but in Orlando/Kissimmee a car is a MUST.
I also love Kennedy Space Center. If you decide to go to Kennedy Space Center don´t miss all the IMAX-movies.

I prefer visiting other places before we cruise, because nothing can top the accomodation and the food, you´ll have on the cruiseship.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:34 AM

Dejan,
Since you are not arriving until 20:30 the day before your cruise, you will have very limited touring time before the cruise. If you wish to do any sightseeing after your cruise a car rental is a MUST. First, I would suggest you visit the Kennedy Space Center the day you get off the ship since it is so nearby. Then if you wish to visit Miami you would continue south after visiting the Space Center. However, be aware Miami is quite a distance from the Space Center (about a 4 hour trip). Then, Miami is about another 5-6 hours (by car) away from Orlando. So, unless you plan to spend the night in Miami, you would probably want to eliminate Miami from your list of sites. Besides, there is so much to see in the Orlando area. To make the best use of your time - visit the Space Center then return to Orlando for the duration
of your stay in Florida.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-03-2005, 08:43 AM

I already thought that we will ned a car.The only problem I see is that roads are much bigger in Statese than hire in Europe and I'm a little scared to do something stupid in traffic.I wonder what would be the price for a little car with clima offcourse for a four days? Do you maybe know what is the weather like in the westeren carribian in October? I was taled that it would be OK, but with this hurican you never know.Is it true that you must be on the airrport three hours before the flight, because the police is very strict and affraid for new attacts? Oh yes, I'm 29 and my girly is 27.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:53 AM

Yes Dejan,

streets are much more bigger than in some parts of Europe. Close to Orlando somtimes 5 lanes for each direction. You need a good map (from the car rental station) and a person, who is able to read a map and give you signs, when to leave one of these highways or Interstates.
I always book the cars here in germany because the prices are cheaper. But I dont know how the situation is in Slovenia.
I think you have to pay about 150 - 200 $ for one week and a small car.

And yes, you have to be early enough at the airport. Controls can last very long, also the Immigration in the U.S. can last from 2 minutes up to 2 hours or more.
So be sure, when you have to step over to another flight, to have enough time to catch the other flight.
Be careful with the stuff you bring to the airport. If you have a pocketknife or a manicureset, put it not in your handluggage, put it in the luggage, which you check in at the airport.

If you have more questions, please ask, you´re welcome.

Marita from Germany

Old 08-03-2005, 10:32 AM

Tommorrow mornig we leave for a few days to Serbia in to the place called Gu?a, where one week there is a party with a trumpet players.A special place where in one week 600.000,00 people come to have a good time, so when we come back I will give you some more questions for shure.Marita & Nancy, you've been very ,very helpfull to us, so if we can do anything in return to help you or anything else, please let us know!

Closed Thread

Tags
canaveral, port