Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 11:11 AM

Hey Yall,
Just checked the RCCL website and our balcony cabin price has really dropped! We sail on Jan 18th for the Western Caribbean. I called and they gave us a credit on the difference.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:50 AM

How much of a difference?

Sonny
Old 11-26-2008, 12:07 PM

Congratulations cj1, that's a nice Christmas present!
Old 11-26-2008, 04:01 PM

Actually, the prices for this particular cruise has been up and down. When we booked last April, our cabin was $959.00. Two months after we booked, the price was down to $929.00. I have been watching the website hoping to see another decrease and today it happened! The CVP told me to keep watching as the price could?? drop even up to the day before boarding!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 PM

The price will really drop if they ever end the fuel surcharge. I can hardly remember when I last paid less than $1.70 for a gallon of gas…but yet, we're being hit with a fuel surcharge by the cruise lines. Go figure.

Sonny
Old 11-26-2008, 08:12 PM

We're on this cruise also. When we booked, our D1 hump cabin was $1010. Later it dropped to $840 (which our TA grabbed for us) and then it jumped up to around $1100 if I remember correctly. Good to see it drop again. Now, if the oil price will stay down and we can get our OBC for the fuel supplement.

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 11-26-2008, 08:20 PM

Congrats cj1!

I've learned to watch the price too. Even if it is just down one day and you catch it, it is OBC city. I ended up with 3 on my last cruise.

Dwayne
Old 11-27-2008, 06:44 AM

Thats great news when one gets a reduction in the price of the cruise. I saw a few days back that our room had dropped and my wife emailed RCI for the reduced pricing. She was informed that she would have to go through the TA we booked with.

Question: Is that normal to have to go that route? Also, how would one continue to track pricing if the particular Cat of balcony is no longer listed as available? I know that I have seen my catagory disappear and then reappear.

Thanks in advance.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-27-2008, 09:01 AM

One of the benefits of booking directly with the cruise line is you can call them and get immediate attention. When you book through an online site or with a TA all the cruise lines will refer you to whomever made the original booking to deal with any issue you might have. I booked the December 7th sailing on the Independence about eight months directly ago with RCI. I forget what the rate was exactly but it's the category that is the most important thing to know. I was originally booked into category D2. Any reduction in price that might involve a credit HAS to happen within the category you are booked. I have called RCI more than twenty five times over the past few months inquiring about the price for category D2. Some time ago the category dropped by $79 pp and they offered me a refund by check or an on board credit. We took the OBC for $158. A few days later I began moving cabins within my category as the one we had was all the way aft. It's like musical chairs. I knew where I wanted to get to, even knew the ideal cabin numbers I wanted. Again, because I booked directly with RCI I was able to speak with them by phone while they searched their computers for the room numbers I wanted. It took a few phone calls but I eventually got one of the rooms I wanted. Then to make it fun I began asking about any specials or promos they might be offering for seniors, vets etc. Last week on one of the days I called they had a senior promo rate for a Junior Suite (category JS)for $899. I jumped on that using my credit plus about $40 more. I wasn't real happy about the cabin location I was given at the time for this junior suite as it was all the way forward where all of the up and down motion is. It was the only one they had available at the time so I took it knowing full well what I'd be doing in the following days. Can you guess??... Uh Huh calling RCI and checking the cabin numbers for the junior suites I did want. To date I am now more in the middle of deck 9 with my eye on one of the hump cabins. We'll see how that plays out.
Anyway, if you have the time and you booked directly it's a fun game and very easy to play. All of the people I've spoken with on the other end of RCI's 800 line have been more than accomodating.
My last comment is this. It's not always "You Get What You Pay For" in reality it's "You Get What You SHOP For!".
Old 11-27-2008, 10:41 AM

I understand the great feeling you get when Your room rate drops. I booked my room and waited for the price to drop and got a GREAT deal. I enjoy that fact that when you call the RCC 800 number you don't have to try to get the same person everytime... ANyone can get the information that you need. I've been with Carnival 1800 and I do go through one of their agents at Carnival but I have found that's it's difficult to get her sometimes.. IT's wonderful to just call up and no matter who answers the phone... They can fix your problem or answer your questions.

Closed Thread