Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2005, 05:59 PM

Hi there…..I am new to this website and have a couple of questions. My family and I are traveling on Explorer of the Seas, Western Caribbean, in January 2006. This is a first cruise for all of us. I will be traveling with my husband, my 13 year old son and my sister. My sister has always used crutches to get around but using them she can walk just as fast as anyone else but does have some problems with uneven or muddy surfaces. We are very interested in doing the Dolphin Swim and Snorkel in Cozumel and I am wondering if anyone has done this excursion. My question is how difficult is it to get into the water on this excursion. She would be able to manage fine from a dock but would probably have some difficulty getting into the water from a boat. Any information would be appreciated. My other question is regarding my son. Since he is 13 I am hoping to give him a good bit of freedom since he is quite responsible. How do other people manage to keep in touch with their children on a ship with so many distractions? Do walkie talkies work onboard? I have more questions but I will ask them later.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:34 PM

If the dolphin encounter is done at Chankanaab, the the ingress is from a dock. No problem for her.

Do take walkie talkies, as they will work fine on the ship and in port. They are a great way to keep track of your kids. Just as a point of reference. Explain to your kids that if you call and they do not answer immediately, that you will hang up and immediately call the ship's security and report them missing. They only work as great as the kids think they will...VBG.

Have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 07-23-2005, 04:04 AM

Walkie-talkies are a great way to maintain contact on the ship. If you do not have your own, I believe the Explorer has some that can be signed out for the duration of the cruise (at least they did when I sailed her in April). I don't know if there is a fee involved, however.

I would not rely on them totally, however. When my daughter was younger we set up pre-designated times and places to check in with each other and the amount of "freedom" she was allowed was contingent on her compliance. She never missed a scheduled check-in.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-24-2005, 04:48 PM

Hi Tom and Nancy.....thank you for the tips. I'm not sure if the dolphin encounter is in Chankanaab...doesn't say on the excursion information but I will check with RCL. I will also check with RCL about renting walkie talkies. I liked your suggestion about the 'check-in' with the 13 year old and I'm sure he will comply as I know he won't want to lose any priviledges on this trip. Also I read on another message on this site about being able to withhold charging privledges to your child. On the other hand can you give them a daily charging limit. He is saving his own money for this trip and I want him to make his own purchasing choices. On the other hand I'm not certain I want to have him being able to access the whole amount in one shot. Can this purchasing card be worn like a necklace and kept on when he is swimming?

I was also wondering about touring the ruins. We will probably only do one of the mayan ruin tours. Which do you suggest that is the most impressive but the least crowded? If we arrange a tour of the ruins with a private operator are we less likely to run into crowds?

We are really interested in snorkling.... would it be difficult for her to get into the water to go snorkling?

I know there is still several months before my trip but due to my sisters disability I want to plan for the excursions well in advance.....which is my other question....should you book the tours you really want prior to boarding?

Thanks for all your help.

Shirley

Closed Thread