Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2005, 01:46 PM

We are booked on Explorer of the Seas in October 2005. Our only previous cruise experience is on a UK ship where all gratuaties were included. We have prepaid the fixed gratuaties but after reading some comments on cruise chat are wondering whether we should be tipping on top of this. If so, who, how much and how often? Any help appreciated!!
Old 05-06-2005, 01:55 PM

Tipping is the same as on land, it depends on what you are comfortable with. Having prepaid gratuties, I would be ok with that. If you usually tip a lot more than normal, then tip those you feel deserve it. You will not have crew members who make you feel you didn't tip enough, as some waiters on land do.

David Landry
Old 05-06-2005, 02:26 PM

Seafaring Ted, Welcome to cruise-chat. If you have prepaid your gratuities, you have covered all the "suggested" onboard tips. Gratuities for the bar staff are included in the tab every time you order (as is the wine steward should you order wine) - so nothing more is expected for those services. If there is someone who has done something special for you or who has gone above and beyond what is expected, then you can tip them an additional amount at your discretion. The gratuities that are NOT included are such incidentals as room service delivery and tour guides,taxi drivers, etc at each port of call.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-06-2005, 02:53 PM

Thanks for your help. We are not so used to tipping here in Old Blighty. Don't want any awkward moments with the crew and don't wish to cause offence!!

Love reading any reviews on Explorer. Very excited about cruising on such a large ship. Any hints/suggestions welcome.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:57 PM

Glad we could be of help! Go to our sister site: CruiseReviews.com and read all about the ships. Be sure to post a review when you return.

David Landry
Old 05-06-2005, 09:11 PM

I just published a MEGA review on the Explorer of the Seas located at

http://www.cruisereviews.com/RoyalCa...theSeas115.htm

There are a ton of pictures so it might take a moment to load. Enjoy!

Tom
Old 05-07-2005, 05:52 AM

Ted,
After checking out the excellent pictorial review of the Explorer that Tom just posted, if you have any other questions about the ship, feel free to ask me as I was on that cruise with Tom's wife, Joanie.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-09-2005, 10:16 AM

A great new review of Explorer just read thanks!. I drooled over the pictures and can't wait till October!
I have read soooooo many negative reviews of RCI ships on all the review sites, I was starting to get a tad worried we may have booked a non-starter. Since this is our honeymoon, we need this holiday to be extra 'special'.
Many thanks to everyone out there with their encouraging comments.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:26 AM

If I lived my life based on all the negative people out there, I would never leave my room, let alone my house!

David Landry
Old 06-08-2005, 08:00 PM

Thank you Tom for the Explorer review. It was great! we will be doing this cruise soon, only doing the Eastern instead of the Western. We loved your pictures thank you for taking the time to post them.

Closed Thread

Tags
beginners, cover, cruise, gratuaties, navigator, prepaid, seas, ship