Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 07:30 PM

Due to another event, our teenager will be getting off our cruise early and flying home from one of our excursion ports. Our travel agent just set this flight up but I'm wondering if I need to let RCL know about it in advance. Has anyone ever left a cruise early and if so, does it cause a problem with customs or anything? Do I need to do anything special with RCL? Thanks so much!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm wondering if I need to let RCL know about it in advance. Has anyone ever left a cruise early and if so, does it cause a problem with customs or anything?
Yes, the cruise line needs to know about this since, depending on the itinerary, it may be against the law and fines could be levied. Specifically, leaving a cruise early could violate the Passenger Services Act. Please read this link carefully. Is the agent who set up the flight also the one who booked the cruise? I am amazed they didn't tell you about this.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:20 PM

Yes, we used the same travel agent but I'm new to cruising and didn't know enough to ask more, I guess (but certainly will tomorrow!). I'm concerned because he's suppose to fly out of Belize and although my husband will be seeing him off, I'm concerned about their safety from the port to aiport. Should I be? Does anyone know how safe it is taking a cab and how long it takes?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Belize is a safe place as long as you stay on the beaten path, and I wouldn't fret going from the port to the airport in Belize City.

Even if this trip is legal, and assuming your agent notified RCI, the agent should have told you about the caveats.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
our teenager will be getting off our cruise early
Oh, one more thing. A passport will be required to re-enter the USA via airplane. I am not sure, but Belize may have a requirement that anyone leaving a cruise has to process through their immigration authority - even if they are just going to the airport.

Which cruise are you taking? When is it? How old is your child? There may be other things to consider based upon his/her age and the specific cruise you are taking.

Quote:
I'm new to cruising and didn't know enough to ask more
"Knowing enough" is the agent's job, not yours.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:34 AM

Not only do you have to ask RCI, you have to have their written permission approved by Customs. It's not usually a problem getting it handled but has to be done. As Dave says, a passport is required, unlike the booking of the cruise. He'll never be allowed to board the flight without one. Get EVERYTHING in writing. Don't rely on verbal approval. Nothing verbal is binding with the cruiselines, if someone drops the ball after assuring you they'll take care of it you're out of luck.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-23-2008, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the info everyone! I spoke to my travel agent this morning and she assured me that she has already notified RCL about his leaving at Belize. We have valid passports, too so that part is taken care of. I didn't know about the customs notification thing though and will make sure I get something in writing before we go. You have all put my minds at ease over a stressful situation. Our choice was to not take him on the cruise at all or to have him fly home part of the way through (or cancel the cruise for all of us). Anyway, we are very excited to be going on the Navigator a month from tomorrow. This cruise board has been such a wonderful resource and we wish you all happy cruising!
Old 03-29-2008, 03:28 PM

Just wanted to give you an update - all went well with my son flying home early from Belize. That said, I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it. It was expensive and I worried a lot. The guest relations people were very helpful though on helping to arrange taxi and immigration forms. They were wonderful all the way around.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear that it went well. But like you said - it probably isn't something that you'd want to make a habit of doing!

Closed Thread

Tags
act, assured, caribbean, cruise, cruises, early, fly, flying, home, leave, passenger, rcl, rent, royal, ship