Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 01:50 PM

Got a question that maybe someone can help me with, possibly Sonny V or Dave Beers.

We will probably be sailing our second cruise next summer on the Explorer and I'm already starting to get wound up and nothing's even confirmed! I know that some ships and probably soon all, will provide cell service on board (at a hefty price of course).

My question is, if one is in an area where they would normally be able to use their cell phone and only use minues (i.e. in San Juan), would they physically have to get off the ship in order to avoid going through RCCL or whomever is their provider?

I'm just curious to know.

TDH
Old 05-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator

I don't know the specifics of it, but I don't think it works that way, otherwise some poor schmuck who happened to be using his cell phone as the ship passed nearby would get an extra charge. A ship's electronic services don't necessarily end at the hull boundary.

I don't use a cell phone much and certainly not while on a cruise, but I don't recall having to sign up for anything special in order to use one - at least on Carnival, and I assume it is the same on RCI.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:07 PM

Its also VERY likely that the ship's cell repeaters need to be shut down once they get within the port to prevent them from interferring with the local land based service. (most likely they need to be off within 10 miles or so of land)

Think of it as someone dropping another cell tower into the city without the cell company knowing about it. Maybe they have made arrangements for this with the various local providers, but who knows.

The easiest thing to do is to watch your phone for the "Roaming" indicator. When it changes, you can tell when you are on the land system versus the ship system.

And I know this is one of Dave's hot buttons, but be curtious to others around you when using a cell phone on a cruise ship. Most people on the ship are on vacation and don't want to have to listen to phone ringing all the time.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-15-2007, 02:18 PM

Thanks Dave and Jim C. Don't worry Jim, I'm big on protocol and manners, absolutely detest their use in public gatherings and am forever wondering (as a retired law enforcement type) how fast the rate of those killed while driving and talking on a cell phone continues to climb. That being said, they can be a convenient tool when necessary.

TDH
Old 05-15-2007, 02:22 PM

No arguements from me there Todd.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd De Haven:
Thanks Dave and Jim C. Don't worry Jim, I'm big on protocol and manners, absolutely detest their use in public gatherings and am forever wondering (as a retired law enforcement type) how fast the rate of those killed while driving and talking on a cell phone continues to climb. That being said, they can be a convenient tool when necessary.

TDH
Todd, not to start into a big discussion, but to explain Jim's comment about cell phones being a hot button for me....my family was forever affected by an inattentive cell phone user last September. Nobody died but we are still dealing with the injuries and other issues. Cell phone misuse almost made me a widower and single parent.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:30 PM

Use of cell phones outside of the states is dependent on who your cellular provider is. Not all providers can roam in another country.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Try getting international added to your service and that should be all you need I think calls will be roughly around $4 a minute.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
calls, phone