Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 07:45 AM

hello everyone I will be taking my first cruise on RCCL on Oct. 20, 2006 to the Bahamas what is the captains ball and can everyone attend, and also what night on the shorter cruises do you dress up someone told me that it was on the first night but I'm not sure please help
Old 07-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Administrator

The first night is never formal. Some people's luggage may not show up until almost dinner time, so it just wouldn't work. Usually the second night is the formal night.

As for the Captain's reception (it is not a Ball in the classical sense), everyone can go to it. Depending on the ship, there may even be two receptions - one for each dinner seating. Sometimes they are combined with one reception that can accomodate both seatings. The Captain and/or Hotel Manager will be at the door to glad hand the passengers and pose for photographs by the ship's photo staff. The ship's orchestra will play, waiters will circulate with trays of assorted cocktails and canapes, and then the Cruise Director will mount the stage and introduce the Captain. The Captain will then say a few words and probably introduce his senior officers. And then it is pretty much over. Figure 45 minutes or so.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:21 PM

On my recent cruise on Sovereign of the Seas to the Bahamas (June 30-July 3), there were no photographers at the Captain's Welcome Aboard Reception. There was a receiving line including the Captain, but for the first time that I can remember, no photographers. Sure made the line go faster!

Sandy
Old 07-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Wow Sandy! I am surprised that they didn't take the opportunity to sell some photos at your reception. On the Freedom cruise, the Captain was available for a period of time on the bridge across from guest relations for photos with the passengers. I found this to be a good choice, but of course our reception was different from most in that it was in the promenade and more of a street party than a reception.

Closed Thread

Tags
attire, ball, captains, captians, caribbean, carnival, cruise, dinner, dress, freedom, night, photos, pictures, reception, royal