Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 05:50 PM
I have a total of 11 children, 19 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild...BUT...I hope I don't have the cabin next to yours...sorry, but a crying baby on board isn't much fun....maybe that's one of the reasons they have age restrictions......But, hope you do have a great cruise...I'm not being mean, but there are places for babies and a ship, to me, isn't one of them....Ok, everyone, go ahead and slam me...

Bob E
Old 07-19-2008, 07:13 PM

No slam from me Bob. I'm going to agree that a cruise is probably not an age appropriate vacation option for an infant under a year old. I know many have a different opinion and they can excercise their desire to cruise with infants. A ship is a confined space with a shared ventillation system where ilnesses can go from a client or two to an outbreak. Infants without fully developed immune systems and imunities to what would be minor for an adult can be dangerous for a baby. With the equipment and training onboard being less than what you'd find at a hospital in the US and admittedly not what would be needed to care for an infant, I simply believe it's an un-necessary risk I wouldn't want to take. People need to ask themselves if the quality of healthcare available at many ports is up to their expectations. The ship will not take the responsibility for care of infants with health issues, thus the age requirements and in this case a waiver as a release of liability. We've seen previous posts on families with infants being referred to a local hospital and the consequences that resulted. Cost of care, missed ship, flights home, loss of the remainder of the cruise being a few.

It's not likely anything will go wrong and everything will probably end well. I certainly hope it does. If you do travel, get travel insurance, especially if you increase risk factors and bring an infant.

Cheers, Neil

All this and not to mention the inconvenience issues.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Well said Neil.....Health issues on a ship can become intense at times.....don't want the little ones catching anything.....

Happy Sailing,

Bob E
Old 07-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Berick1234:
II hope I don't have the cabin next to yours...sorry, but a crying baby on board isn't much fun....maybe that's one of the reasons they have age restrictions......
Bob E
Sorry for this comment Grenham
I hope you enjoy your cruise
But I have to ask,

well I can't say it better than Berick1234 but this post only opens a few questions for me,

for example:

I pay a cabin next to a cruiser with a baby of 3 months (against the rules of RCL) and the baby keep crying all night and I can't sleep because of it or even enjoy a quiet evening on my cabin since you know they get sick very often at this age, and judging by the rules of RCCL the baby is not suppose to be on board,

we all have the same company rules no?

Rule (Trvlpro):

"6 months is the minimum age and it's actually 12 months on many sailings including TransAtlantic, cruise/tours and other itins. You will be denied boarding if the child does not meet the age minimum."

note: They started to enforce that rule just a few months before now, so My guess your last year cruise does not count,
Believe me even if the say so at RCCL, the booking outlet say they can denied you board ship becuase of it, so I will not be so sure they will let you board that depends on the captain of the ship not the company...

Back to my point:

but what will happen on my cruise If I got to guest relations and file a complaint:

RCCL will refound my cruise becuase of it?

Will they take the family out of the ship since they are against the rules??

What actions do the company will take?

since the rules applied to all cruisers on board, even for me, or the cabin next to me
What will be their answer to it?

I can say it's good to take a baby on a cruise I will never do that to a baby, even adults have problems on long cruises(seasickness)
but as a cruiser I will like to know if the rules are for everyone on board or just for a few thats all.

sorry If I was rude with my post...
Old 07-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Let's bring this back to the original questions and stop the rants about bringing baby aboard. It is apparently being allowed in this instance and so we'll leave it at that. Me thinks a bit of piling on has occurred!
Old 07-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Thanks for steering this back, Dave.

As to the original questions:
Quote:
Any advice on whether we should pack alot of nappies/diapers in advance, will the cabin have a kettle for making bottles.
Anything the baby will need onboard should be brought with you. That includes nappies, bottles, formula (if not nursing), and baby food (as it's not wise to change a baby's diet abruptly). I'd also bring any familiar toys, blankets, teething rings, and anything else that brings the baby comfort. Actually, this last part is applicable to the 2-year-old, also.

Also, as far as nappies, I'd strongly suggest switching to disposables. Bring along scented bags in which to place them before putting them in the trash...this will make life much more pleasant for your cabin steward.

VERY IMPORTANT: Bring any medications such as fever reducers as you will not be able to find these easily, if at all, on the ship or in port.

Dave's answered the kettle question. Still, you can always ask the dining room waiter or assistant waiter to warm up a bottle. I don't know if they will do this, but you never know.

One thing we found helpful for when our son was little was to practice dining out at home, gradually working up to longer meals. (He was 11 months old on his first cruise, 20 months old on his second.) We also ordered him an appetizer such as carrot sticks to be served the same time as our appetizers. Again, this is more applicable to your 2-year-old. It helped tremendously to have his main course brought out at about the same time as ours.

As I think of more, I'll let you know.

What are you doing for shore excursions?
Old 07-20-2008, 06:52 PM

Sorry, folks, this turned into a baby rant. We had an infant in the next room on the Navigator of the Seas several years ago. I don't know if he was merely tired or ill, but he cried (screamed!) continuously. We could hear him in the hallway as we passed their door,day after day, poor souls. BUT we NEVER heard him through the walls of our cabin. God bless the insulation. If we came from another direction to our door we might not have known he was there. They were kind enough to keep their balcony door shut and we couldn't even really hear him out there. NO PROBLEM.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-21-2008, 12:59 PM

Thanks everyone - alot of food for thought. The only option open to us was to defer the cruise - which was considered but is not possible given personal circumstances, only other option was to lose 55% of the cost of the overall cruise (again not a very realistic option). Catch-22 comes to mind.

In regards to being next to crying babies - I appreciate the concerns of other passengers.

Our children are well mannered, quiet and very considerate. The baby, to date, has also been very placid. Our own holidays tend to be ruined by unruly children, rowdy/drunk teenagers, rowing adults, blaring radios and TVs, slamming doors - ie crying babies are near the bottom or our own 'nuisance' list.

Thanks again

Closed Thread

Tags
accepted, age, babies, baby, board, caribbean, carribean, cruise, exception, form, infant, minimum, month, royal, rule, ships, waiver