Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 06:28 AM

We are soon to go on the Brilliance of the Sea Western Mditerranean cruise. We will be travelling with a 2 y/old and baby (4 months).

Any advice on whether we should pack alot of nappies/diapers in advance, will the cabin have a kettle for making bottles.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2008, 06:40 AM

You need to take any items for your child with you. You will not be able to buy them onboard. How soon are you sailing? I thought the minimum age to cruise was 6 months.

According to this.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:52 AM

Grenham,

You are definately in need of contacting your T/A or the cruiseline immediately. RCCL has absolute age requirements and no exceptions are made.

6 months is the minimum age and it's actually 12 months on many sailings including TransAtlantic, cruise/tours and other itins. You will be denied boarding if the child does not meet the age minimum.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-19-2008, 12:57 PM

Found out about age requirement after holiday wqas booked.

To avoid disappointment (we actually have 7 children travelling) we signed a waiver form - which will be presented on boarding

Rgds
Old 07-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
To avoid disappointment (we actually have 7 children travelling) we signed a waiver form - which will be presented on boarding
That is interesting given the Royal Caribbean UK and Ireland website says no waivers will be accepted for the age limits. Did the cruise line tell you it was going to allow it?

An excerpt from the booking conditions:

The minimum age for infants to sail is six (6) months, as of the date of sailing and twelve
(12) months, as of the date of sailing for Transatlantic, Transpacific, Hawaii, selected South American cruises and other selected cruises. The health and safety of our guests is our number one priority. As such, in consideration of the limitations of the shipboard medical facility, equipment and staff, the company can not accept waivers, releases or requests for exceptions to this policy.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:43 PM

As the cruise was booked last year, we were allowed a waiver (and have a letter from RCI to this effect)
Old 07-19-2008, 01:46 PM

Relevant clause:-

As such, in consideration of the limitations of the shipboard medical facility, equipment and staff, the company can not accept waivers, releases, or requests to make any exception to this policy. For existing bookings who do not meet the new requirements, we have been granted leniency for sailings commencing up to and including 31st October 2008 as long as you met the original policy you booked under
Old 07-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Grenham, I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I've never heard of an exception being made to their age requirement policy. I am in a unique situation where I deal with a very large number of bookings and communications with the cruiseline on a regular basis. With the explicit nature of their regulation on this and the reasons posted, one being "limitations of the shipboard medical facility, equipment and staff" as Dave pointed out, I'd be very uncomfortable even with a waiver in hand. I know the cruiselines make policy changes and can deviate from policy but that is not a low level decision that can be made by a booking agent. I have had forms that due to policy changes in the past have become invalid and will no longer be accepted. I would ask that, if the waiver you have in hand is valid, they remove the language from their site that prohibits such waivers. Contradictory language in writing is subject to the interpretation of the people enforcing the rules at the pier, not the person who booked the cruise or sent you a form. I've discovered in dealing with this industry, if there is a way something can go wrong it often does. The cruise will be at full penalty for cancellation at the time you arrive to board. If denied boarding, there is nothing available to you for compensation at that point, even insurance won't cover such a circumstance. Be very careful what information you're being provided and make double sure that there is no way you can be denied boarding BEFORE you arrive. If they will not remove the language from their policy on thier own site, I'd make other arrangements for care for the infant before the cruise. With limitations by the medical facility and staff, I'm not sure it's wise to sign such a disclaimer. What happens if your child does become ill during the cruise? Are you willing to take the chance that adequate care will not be available onboard? I would not travel by sea with a baby that age even with a form. Especially if it meant signing a form that acknowledged there is risk in doing so and you do so at your own risk. But that's not my decision to make.

Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I am cautious with very good reason based on past experience.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-19-2008, 02:10 PM

Thanks all - we will double/treble/quadruple check with RCI.

However, the physical waiver form has been confirmed and conter-signed by a rep from the RCI Operations support unit.

Rgds
Old 07-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator

As to your question about a kettle in the cabin - on my recent cruise aboard Rhapsody Of The Seas they had electric tea kettles for heating water in the cabins. This was a remnant from that ship's recent use for Asian cruises where the passengers wanted to make tea in the cabin. I cannot say for certain if this will happen on your cruise. These were also just for heating water for pouring into cups, so I am not sure how successful you would be in heating bottles of formula with it.

Personal appliances such as a kettle or hot plate are not allowed.

Closed Thread

Tags
accepted, age, babies, baby, board, caribbean, carribean, cruise, exception, form, infant, minimum, month, royal, rule, ships, waiver