Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SONNYV: You still can get insurance. Don't say anything about being called for duty.
Now that sounds a bit dishonest don't you think SONNYV? Something that those people who buy C&A coupon books on ebay or who who don't show up on the last night for dinner so they don't have to tip might do eh? Definitely fraudulent and probably breaks some rules specified in the policy.....and as you've told us before SONNYV, rules are rules, no matter how minor they may be.

Besides being dishonest and fraudulent, what happens when the insurance company asks for proof that your husband has been called for jury duty and you provide them with the jury notice that pre-dates the purchase of the insurance policy? Call the court clerk and explain your predicament, I'm sure that your husband will be excused and assigned to a later jury pool.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfisher:
...rules are rules, no matter how minor they may be.
I had a conversation today with my internet provider and dsl phone service provider who sold me the modem. My ISP said that the problems we were having related to a modem that was about to go bad. My ISP worked us around the default settings to make it work. The warranty goes out in a month.

In a three way conversation, the phone company told me, "it's working now and we don't replace modems that are working." They refused to replace it and hung up. "My ISP told me to unplug the phone and call the phone company to say its not working." They would then test it and see that they could not connect. But I said, "and if they ask me if the line is connected, you want me to say yes?" "Yes", he replied emphatically! I said, "You want me to lie?" "YES! "I can't do that" I said and he said "then you won't get your modem replaced."

I don't agree with the idea of getting insurance after the fact of knowing that jury duty came up, just to make them cover after the fact.

I am confident that he will be excused or deferred.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:15 PM

Chef, as an attorney, I can tell you that either the Bible OR the NRA button would cause me to use a preemptory challenge on you regardless of whether I was trying a criminal or civil case, and regardless of which side I was on.....I'd laugh my a$$ off if I ever see someone do it!

On a different note....haven't heard from Mr. moral majority yet as to why it's O.K. to defraud the insurance company, but not the cruise line....hmmmmm
Old 02-22-2007, 06:40 PM

Kingfisher,

Thanks and if no one has said it or if they have, I'm saying it, welcome to cruise chat!

Well of course I was joking, counselor as you probably realized. Going into that situation I think I know who I'm dealing with and the idea struck me.

On this site we encourage folks not to take part in personal attacks on individuals so I am not going to comment on your reference to any individual even though its not really malicious.

Some posters become familiar enough to engage in a little give and take in a joking or jesting manner. "That's about all I got to say about that."

If it gets rough, Dave or Raoul and others are faithful to swing the mighty administrator's gavel and shut someone down.

I have to agree with your sense of ethics on this though.

Ken
Old 02-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Banned

Not meaning to be trite, but honesty is the best policy. That's also why I declare those fine bottles of cabernet, petit syrah, and barbera as I'm going through embarkation. I haven't had any rejected...yet. My insurance premiums are overly high due in part to the fraudsters out there...Regarding jury duty, getting a deferral granted is often directly related to the manner in which one requests the deferral. As I learned from a grizzled, retired federal prison warden, you get a lot more with a teaspoon of honey than with a gallon of vinegar.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:25 AM

Thanks for the welcome Chef Ken! And, for those of you out there who are wondering why I may appear to be so persistent in seeking a response from SONNYV regarding his advice to Shelby to get insurance anyway and "don't say anything about being called for jury duty", it originates from a couple of responses from SONNYV to me about character, ethics and rules as they relate to purchasing a C&A coupon book on Ebay, one of which follows:

Originally posted by SONNYV:

"Kingfisher, some people play buy the rules. Then, of coarse (sp), there are those that break rules and encourage others to do the same. There's nothing wrong with being ethical. To try to put down someone who has some ethical perspective, reveals the character of that person. A person with ethics should be praised, not ridiculed. Rules, ever so trivial, are still rules."

So no, Chef Ken, you're right. I'm not attacking SONNYV in this thread, (although I may have inappropriately called him names in the thread quoted above, which I realize was wrong and won't happen again). I'm simply looking for an explanation as to why he would condone, and advise someone to commit a felony, (insurance fraud), when he impugned my character and lectured me on the importance of rules and ethics after I condoned purchasing a C&A coupon book on Ebay.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:13 AM
I don't mean to try to speak for Sonny--he can certainly do that for himself--nor does he need anyone to defend him, but I've been reading his posts for some time now and he has a rather dry, sardonic sense of humor (kind of like me) and I have the feeling when he made his now-famous "don't say anything" statement his tounge was firmly planted in his cheek. I think we're making way to big a thing out of this.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:29 AM

K. The REAL question here is DID SHELBY'S HUBBY GET OUT OF JURY DUTY OR WHAT? Stay tuned......
10/03 CCL Carnival Legend
07/94 CCL Ecstasy

Add me as a friend on Myspace http://www.myspace.com/avenger1971
Old 02-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Thank you! Yes, that's the real issue.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:39 AM

Sorry f-mattox, I'm just not able to infer that from his post and give him a pass. Despite the limitations of the writtten word to convey feeling, or emotion, (and having read a great many of his posts myself), I don't think SONNYV would have had any trouble letting us know if he was joking. He seems well educated and quite able to convey his intent.

I also disagree that I'm "making way too big a thing out of this." SONNYV voluntarily provides a lot of information, (much of it very good and helpful), on this site that many people view as gospel and, as such, he has some responsibility for what he says, as we all do. He advised Shelby to commit a crime, a felony no less. Hopefully, she didn't follow that advice.

I still can't help but wonder why SONNYV won't respond? A simple "mea culpa" would go a long way as far as showing character and good ethics, and would be sufficient as far as I'm concerned. But, I'm not holding my breath....

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, cruise, date, duty, insurance, jury, royal, tickets, travel