Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 02:34 PM

Hubby just cgot called for Jury Duty!!!! We DID NOT get insurance! WHat now???

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 02-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

He ought to be able to get the jury duty deferred. Just call the court clerk and tell them you have a cruise for those dates. They may want proof. It has never been a problem in my area and I assume it is the same for your area. They often will tell people they will be called at a later date. Sometimes they can set up an alternate date for the duty.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:42 PM

You still can get insurance. Don't say anything about being called for duty. It wouldn't hurt to call whom ever and let them know about your plans to see if you can get out for jury duty. Good luck!

Sonny
Old 02-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Administrator

The same thing happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. She was able to get it deferred by making a quick call to the clerk's office. (Number should be on the jury duty notice.) They handle this type of situation fairly often.

I still recommend getting travel insurance. Although it will not cover you in this instance (as he's already been called), at least you'll be protected if you need to cancel for other reasons, or if your trip is interrupted once underway.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:11 PM

Same exact thing happened for me on our summer Alaska cruise. For us, it was just a call to the clerk and a request for a defferment. If he has time to go to the court on the summons date he can make the request in person. As long as he is clear that he just needs a different service date and is not asking to "get out of it" they are typically understanding. Especially if you can show them your "non-refundable" cruise ticket. But a phone call to the clerk works also.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-21-2007, 08:26 PM

I always thought if I got called, I would show up with a bible under my arm and an NRA button on my shirt and see what happens.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:34 PM
That would work in Minneapolis;
some other places that would land you right in the jury box.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:45 AM

I loved jury duty and hope to get called again, But it will probably happen in 430 days, if at all. I spent 6 months on unemployment, they couldn't call then

2nd cruise Majesty OTS - 5/11/07

3rd cruise Freedom of the Seas 4/27/08 Western Caribbean - Hump Balcony!!!

Next Navigator of the Seas 4/6/09 First time to Belize
Old 02-22-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
That would work in Minneapolis;
some other places that would land you right in the jury box.
How did you know, because we are a blue state? A local radio talk-show refers to this as "the state where nothing is allowed." If there is something that has not been legislated yet, it's simply a matter of time.

About 60 days for you and your rendezvous with the Sun Princess, are you bouncing off the walls or just biting your lip?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Banned

shelby, before we left for our cruise on Feb. 2nd my husband received his jury duty slip in the mail. He owns his business, is sole provider, and has several employees and travels quite a bit. When he was called upon in the past, he had to bow out because of business travel. So, when he got his notice for duty this time, he was nervous that our trip would not be valid for dismissal. He called our jury commissioner and explained to her that he would be available to appear anytime upon our arrival back home. She was very understanding. I think it's just a matter of how understanding your clerk/jury commissioner is and how friendly and flexible you are in explaining your case. Ultimately, it's their call. I do know that they used to be more sympathetic to pleas in the past, even to stay-at-home moms. Not so much anymore. Good luck!

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, cruise, date, duty, insurance, jury, royal, tickets, travel