Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2003, 06:24 PM

I entered a question a week ago, lots of looks, no responses.
Did anyone take an excursion to Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia or St Thomas you'd like to share with us so we know what to take. It doesn't have to be a part of the ships excursions. What did you do that you loved?
Old 04-04-2003, 06:24 PM

I entered a question a week ago, lots of looks, no responses.
Did anyone take an excursion to Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia or St Thomas you'd like to share with us so we know what to take. It doesn't have to be a part of the ships excursions. What did you do that you loved?
Old 04-06-2003, 11:19 PM

Naturally, St. Thomas is for shopping if you're into that. You can do that on your own. Grand Jewelers is the best, and located on the main drag. Barbados and Curacao are our favorite islands. This was our second time in Barbados, and we took a "photographic tour" of the island. This was done off of a Princess ship, so don't know if the same is offered from RCL. It was conducted by a professional photographer, making many stops as people requested, and then taking us to back roads, where we got magnificent photos of the ocean & cliffs. Any time we go back there in the future, we will take this. If you have the least amount of back problems, don't do the Jeep expedition. Friends did this, and you have to be young, and in top form with the bumping.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:46 PM

We just returned in March from a southern Caribbean cruise and have been to both of these places in the past.

Barbados has seen better days, but definitely worth a look. Sam Lord's Castle is a pretty spot. The history on Sam Lord is interesting if you enjoy legends and myths. The downtown area (Bridgetown) is kinda congested and busy, but the outer areas have some pretty scenery. The beaches are decent but not the best by any stretch, however prices for refreshments aren't cheap.

Antigua is a great place. Hurricanes have taken a toll, but they are working diligently to re-build. We have spent a week there 7 years ago. Some good snorkelling spots. Eric Clapton has a place there that you can see up on a cliff.
Like Barbados, Antigua has a Jolly Roger (themed pirate ship) booze cruise that is kinda fun if that is your type of thing.
For a touch of history, you can venture over to Nelson's Dockyard. (Take a cab, negotiate price beforehand. He'll wait for you and return you to the ship. Should be $30 for 2 ppl) It is very photogenic, and a great place for getting a feel for the past.

Have a great cruise!!

[This message was edited by marshe on April 07, 2003 at 11:15 PM.]
Old 04-21-2003, 07:25 PM

This was my original post. It goes to show you everyone has different tastes. For those reading here is what we suggest:
St Maarten was our favorite port. YOU MUST do the America's Cup excursion. MUST. You can be active or sit back and do nothing. It is the best. Then we took a taxi over to Orient Beach. Why it is those who should have their suits on are the ones who don't? We did not like Antigua at all. Dirty, seedy and if one more taxi cab driver approached me I would have screamed. St Thomas we found gold prices very reasonable - 11.50-$12 a gram. Stores back home want $18-$20 a gram. We had wonderful snorkling in Barbados. We did a sail and snorkel, but were told the SNUBA was so absolutely outstanding. Let me tell you the snorkling was the best I've ever seen. This is not a poor port and NO DEALS to be found. NONE. St. Lucia to us was disappointing. We did a land and sea tour. It was hot and who cares to see some steam coming out of the earth? It was down right boring. I wish we had taken a morning and an afternoon excursion.
Buy liquor before you get on the boat and enjoy cocktails in your room before dinner. Buy bottles of wine at the ports and have the ship charge you an $8 corkage fee. MUCH cheaper than their $35 bottles that sell back here for $11.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:59 PM

Hey Sue isn't nice to be thanked for your time!
Perhaps we should've left it at no responses eh?
And....do you recall being asked about St. Martin? I thought so.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:23 PM

was the previous comment kind of nasty EH.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:38 AM

Marshe, I took that response the same way, not very nice. When I respond to someone's post, I never expect a response back, if I've answered a question, then I've done my part, no thanks needed. People are busy and I believe some people here are just looking for advise, not social hour. If your not responding to people's post with answers to their questions in spite of a lack of appreciation for doing so, then you are in this for the wrong reason's......

Anyway, I do have a question, anyone can respond (or not), Isn't the Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St lucia, St. Maarten, etc.) the Eastern Carribean and not Southern? If I'm correct, which port's are in the Southern?

Thanks! (In advance)

Amy

Closed Thread

Tags
antigua, booze, caribbean, cruise, curacao, excursion, excursions, grand, jewelers, negotiate, pirate, reccommend, royal, ship, southern