Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 PM

Thanks goodness we used a T.A. to book our next cruise on the Independence for 2010. We had wanted the second eight day cruise in January but were informed by our T.A. that it was an Elvis cruise. Changed to Feb. 6, 2010. We were on Hal's Volendam a couple of years back when the Irish Society was on board and they seemed to monopolize the ship. On a couple of nights they took over the crow's nest (lounge on top of ship) and no one could enter for a late night drink. Apparently fights broke out over this so no more specialty cruises for us. I love Elvis but not eight days of him.

Cate M.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:17 PM

Actually...we were on the 6 day Independence cruise in January which was an Elvis cruise. We chose not to take part or pay the extra money for it.

If you didn't KNOW it was an Elvis cruise then you would have never noticed it. All their funtions were private. They did put on a special impromptu matinee performance on the last seas day which was okay. Other than that ....no problem! The cruise rated in the top 3 we have ever taken.

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 AM
Hi catiemor,

My opinion would be that the 'Irish Society' also paid for their cruise and are entitled to drink whereever they wish on the ship. Several nights we could not drink in the English pub on the promendade on several cruises and if it was full we just left and went elsewhere. I dont think its fair to say the Irish took over and no one else could go in.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:28 AM

It is very common for lounges to be closed to "Private Functions" for ANY type of group. There are plenty of other lounges on the ship. It certainly is nothing to start a fist fight over, and very irresponsible of anyone that would.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:27 AM

Having been with a group the had the Viking Crown Lounge reserved for us a few evenings (private group--no other admittance) I can see where this would be a bone of contention to others who paid their fare and wanted to use what was then arguably the best venue on the ship for viewing enjoyment for evening sail-aways. I don't think anyone objects to coming on a venue and finding it full--first come first served, I think problems arise when you pay for a ticket and have an expection of access to all public areas of the ship. I don't blame people for being upset, really, and I had the shoe on the other foot.

Starting a fight over it is just plain childish and tacky, however.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
allure, caribbean, carribean, crown, cruise, elvis, independence, lounge, private, rccl, reviews, royal, seas, viking