Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2005, 12:59 PM

Can anyone tell me how the time works on the ships ? Are they on EST ? We sail from Port Canavril . We are on the western run . What would ship time be and how do you figure island times ? What would the time be in the Grand Camens as opposed to the ship ?
Old 08-07-2005, 01:43 PM

My experience has been that the ship stays on Eastern Standard Time.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:58 PM

We left Miami and I think we had to change our times twice on the caribbean cruise.
Thats not so bad.
During the indian summer cruise from Boston to Quebec, we had to change it almost every night, once 1/2 hour and also 1 1/2 hour. That was confusing.

But if you have to change the time, youŽll find a special notice on your pillow when you come back from dinner, about the time change.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:09 PM

Ship's time is determined by the Captain. You would think that all ships in a fleet would maintain a standard rule - change the times to coincide with the port, or stay on the time zone of the ship's home port. But, that is not the case. On each individual ship, the Captain of that vessel makes that decision. As in the case of Grand Cayman, in my numerous visits to that port, it varied from ship to ship. I have often been in port when some of the ships had changed their clocks and others had not - go figure!!
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-07-2005, 05:45 PM

Yeah---whatever you do, make sure you and the ship have the same idea of what time it is. You don't want to miss the boat!

While ashore, do not be distracted by what the local time is, if it is different, or by what the cruise passenger standing next to you in the gift shop has on their wristwatch!

Bon Voyage!

Lana
Old 08-07-2005, 08:16 PM

Nancy, I'm so surprised! I had no idea it changed from ship to ship. We've been on six cruises now and we've always left our watches on EST. Guess we just lucked out. Thanks for the tip...the potentially very big tip.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:09 AM

The time is determined by the Captain of the ship. If the ship is going to change its time you will be warned/notified in the 'events of the day paper' that you get on your bed in the evening both the day of the change and the next day. (It usually takes place like daylight savings time and they will change the clocks at 2am.) I have been on a couple of cruises that didn't change the time to accomodate the island we were visiting and it led to a delayed departure for the ship or passengers missing it. I actually wonder if they still do that though as it has been years since I was on a ship that did not change its time so it agreed with the port it was in for the day.

Caribbean Travel Articles

Closed Thread