Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 01:50 PM

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Not trying to put anyone on a guilt trip but I just think if we are fortunate enough to be able to afford to take a cruise we should give back to those places that we visit. Your tone really surprises me Dave. I just hate to see people suffer when we have so much. I was just asking for those who can to spend some money in Labadee.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I was just asking for those who can to spend some money in Labadee.
I do.

I just prefer to not do it in the shopping area at Labadee, which is what I was talking about avoiding.

I guess it is a philosophical difference. I don't consider myself "fortunate" to take a cruise. I worked hard to get where I'm at and luck and good fortune had nothing to do with it. Hard work did. I resent it when people tell me I need to shower the locals with money wherever I go, as though I somehow came into having a good living and didn't earn it, and need to make restitution for it.

I also resent having "my tone" questioned. I happen to play a mean clarinet and soprano sax, and have never had my intonation questioned.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:11 PM

If the vendors at the locales where poverty is a fact of life were not as pushy and aggressive as they are, I'd be far more willing to share my hard earned dollars with them. Jamaica, Haiti, Belize, St. Lucia and some of the bahama ports have people who seem to feel they're entitled to strong arm people into giving them money. That happens to be the quickest way of getting this ol' cowboy to close his wallet. If they're pleasant to deal with I'll gladly shop and possibly spend some cash.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-10-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
If the vendors at the locales where poverty is a fact of life were not as pushy and aggressive as they are, I'd be far more willing to share my hard earned dollars with them. Jamaica, Haiti, Belize, St. Lucia and some of the bahama ports have people who seem to feel they're entitled to strong arm people into giving them money. That happens to be the quickest way of getting this ol' cowboy to close his wallet. If they're pleasant to deal with I'll gladly shop and possibly spend some cash.

Cheers, Neil
You "hit the nail on the head", Neil. My sentiments exactly.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Administrator

I didn't mean to sound like a heartless scrooge, although looking back at my posts that is what I did. My apologies if I offended anyone.

When I am on a cruise I am on vacation and not some welfare mission. Otherwise I'd bring along several bags of rice and hand them out on the street. I spend plenty in the ports, but the problem is exactly as Neil states it. I don't like being mauled, hounded, or otherwise have my personal space invaded by the vendors. They are their own worst enemies.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:38 AM

Kinda makes you feel like you've accidentally stumbled into one of the mega-car dealerships with a circus out front and 25 salespeople staring you down and walking toward you before you find a parking space. They think a free t-shirt from a local radio show and free hot dogs will attract car buyers? It must work for some, they sell a lot of cars. Just like on an island with a hoard of pests, I keep going, the other direction.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Administrator

I remember going to a local Toyota dealer in 1987. They had saturated the place with salespeople - so many that most were working from folding chairs with little card tables. No experience needed. I guess the logic was if you have enough staff, someone will make a sale. It was an awful place.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:29 AM
I do have to agree with Dave, the people in the native flea market on Labadee are probably the most aggresive of any of the people in the Caribbean...they actually grab you and pull you into their space....scare the heck out of my wife....I do spend a lot of money on the islands, but I don't like being forced into it...I have 19 grandkids and one great-granddaughter...THAT'S A LOT OF T-SHIRTS TO BUY:-)

Happy Cruising...

Bob E
Old 05-10-2008, 08:17 PM

I also agree with Dave. One of the vendors grabbed my 6 year old grandson, and my wife swore that she'll never go near that market again. I heard a lot of people complain for the same reason. I believe they have every right to try their best to sell you something, but they don't have the right to put their hands on you.

Sonny

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, buy, caribbean, carribbean, excursion, google, labadee, map, port, rccl, royal, sit, taxi, tour, trolley