Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   RCL Vs. Carnival (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/16640-rcl-vs-carnival.html)

sarahski 10-18-2008 10:23 PM

My boyfriend and I are going on our first cruise, we are in our mid twenties and like to party a little and are adventurous. I am looking for a boat where my boyfriend can be entertained while i lay out and also we can have some fun late nights if we choose too. Is Royal carribbean a better choice or carnival?

ChrisnKate 10-19-2008 04:12 AM

Hi. We went with Royal Caribbean on our honeymoon last year, and have already been back since, and we are booked again for April!! We are also of similar age to you. The entertainment is great and quite often it will be the other way round with us! I laze by the pool while she sees the entertainment! We also had some great night in the bars and nightclub. Although I cant comment on Carnival, our theory is, if what you know is brilliant, why change....

Jim C. 10-19-2008 09:14 AM

Both Carnival and Royal Caribbean offer a similar product. You would both probably enjoy either.

You would have to choose for yourself, by going on both (great excuse for a second cruise)but I would suggest you let the choice be guided by the cost you are willing to pay (Carnival tends to be a little less expensive) and by the itinerary.

sarahski 10-19-2008 10:35 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. Couple other questions, is it worth spending a little extra money for an oceanview room or balcony room or are you not in your room enough for it to matter. Also what are some of the best destinations you have gone to? We are thinking one with a Belize destination, but i have no desire to go to Hatti, unless someone tells me otherwise.

Jacqueline 10-19-2008 11:15 AM

Not only will a balcony add to the size of your room , there is nothing to compare with the sensation of watching the ocean slip by and to be able to hear it ! Even if you're out of the room a lot, you have a little private place to enjoy a drink and watch the sunrises and sunsets when you're there .

As for RC or Carnival : I've only been on RC and Hal (Hal is quieter with a focus on service , RC is a little more lively) but I always ask fellow cruisers which lines they prefer and I would say that RC seems to get more votes than Carnival. But I've only asked people on RC cruises so they may be biased (I certainly am)!

Nat 10-19-2008 01:47 PM

HI, We are trying to convince my parents to try Carnival (Freedom) but they are RCCL fans all the way? What would you say the biggest difference is??? Many seem to feel that the food is better on Carnival?

tncruiseman 10-19-2008 02:44 PM

It is hard to convert anyone from one brand to the other, but having been on both I can share my opinion honestly. Carnival has a more "relaxed" atmosphere, with better "included" food choices and entertainment. RCI ships are a marvel of architecture at sea and more wowing while Carnival ships are more flashy decor. You will like the staterooms on Carnival better that RCL. Either way, both brands are incredible values. Try one of each and decide!

Dave 10-19-2008 03:18 PM

I agree with tncruiseman's synopsis. I like both brands about equally but think Carnival has the best non-dining room food choices which don't cost extra. It is hard to argue with being able to get a made-to-order rueben or a freshly baked pizza (or calzone) with a nice chewy crust. Carnival has both. RCI doesn't. (I know RCI serves pizza, but frankly it is not very good). I like the killer roast beef and brie sandwich Carnival serves on the room service menu too.

spoheat 10-19-2008 03:29 PM

Labadee, Haiti, is RCCL's "private" destination. It is strictly a beach day with shore activities revolving around the ocean and a fantastic zip line. No other ships but yours will be in port that day. We have been there six times and I would say that 3 out of 4 in our family will rate Haiti as our favorite day. Do the search function for this forum and look for Labadee--there are reviews and pictures posted, and I think even a map. Labadee Haiti might be a tie breaker for me in choosing an itinery.

As for Carnival being the "fun ships" there is more to do on RCCL than you can possibly take in. Look for ports of call and price. We are brand loyal to RCCL having been advised by Travel agents and other cruisers after our first cruise that if we liked RCCL nothing else would satisfy. We took that to heart and have never been sorry.

CruiseMstr 10-19-2008 04:12 PM

Actually im kinda in between on Carnival and Royal Carribean as well. To mean Carnival's food is ALOT better than Royal's, also the entertainment. Carnival's rooms provide more space than Royal as well. Royal to mean is great for there big mega ships and Carnival to me lives up to the name the fun ships.