Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm an absolute cruise addict and I'm already looking into next year's cruise even though my husband and I haven't taken this year's yet. We have already done Princess and Carnival and enjoyed both, but we'd like to try some other lines. We are debating between the Celebrity Constellation and RCCL Explorer of the Seas for March 2008. Both are hitting various Caribbean ports. We're looking at those particular cruises because they hit places like Antigua or St. Lucia as well as some of the "standard" stops like St. Thomas (which we've already seen). The cruises are 10-12 days (depending on which one we decide on).

Our travel agent said Celebrity Constellation was very, very elegant but that there was less to do. My hubby and I aren't partying types, but we do enjoy some entertainment and activities.

Any words of wisdom from any Celebrity or RCCL veterans would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 03-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Banned

If I'm not mistaken, and I welcome people to correct me, but it is my understanding that Celebrity caters to a little older crowd (I have not cruised on Celebrity.......yet). I'm almost 52 (16 between my ears, though), and have nothing but good things to say about RCCL. I have also heard that the midnight buffet on Celebrity is at 9pm, and that luggage is set outside cabins by 6pm on the last night before disembarkation (by choice, not by suggestion of the cruise line), as opposed to the standard 11pm on RCCL. I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 PM

Someone in their 50's would fit right in on Celebrity. Celebrity is a premium cruise line and RCI is a mass market cruise line. They each target different income levels and different life styles. Your Travel Agent should be able to ask you questions about your likes and dislikes, your expectations, your lifestyle, etc. She should be able to tell you if RCI is a better fit for you or Celebrity.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:05 AM
We have been on Celebrity 5 times and it has always been fabulous. I did not think that they were geared for older people. I think it depends on the ports the ship is going to and the time of the year. I do feel that Holland American did cater to older crowds. As for things to do on the ship you won't have time for all the activities. Your bags had to be out by your cabin at 12 midnight the last night of the cruise. I would say, do you want more of an elegant cruise than go Celebrity. Hope this helps.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 03-15-2007, 05:09 AM
Thanks, guys. I probably should have mentioned, my hubby and I are in our late 20s.

Thanks for the replies!

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 03-15-2007, 09:35 AM

Cortney..you just answered the question! Since you have already tried Princess and Carnival, go with RCCL! Being in your 20's, you will certainly love the Voyager class ships and I don't think elegance will be an issue.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 03-15-2007, 09:45 AM

I found Celebrity to be a little snobbish when we first spoke with them. I had looked at the suggested attire for semi formal and was told that a sport jacket and tie were required. At the time my job required the suit and tie bit and I wanted to be as far removed as possible from that during my vacation. I asked if they would require it and the comment was that they could deny access to the dining room...I didn't bring a sport coat just in spite and was welcomed during these evenings with dress slacks and a long sleeve dress shirt...We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise with Celebrity and the itinery; and found the crowd to be very well mixed..We do, however, prefer RCL.

No matter what; cruising rocks.

P l

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Banned

Thanks, I stand corrected on the age issue. Here is a perfect example of how a misconception, or inaccurate information can influence one's decision making. We have not considered Celebrity because we were under the impression it was an older crowd, and since they fall under RCCL, we'd just stick with RCCL.

See...an old dog can learn a new trick; just might have to consider a Celebrity cruise.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 AM

You cannot go wrong with Royal Caribbean Voyager Class ships. Especially at your age!! They off so much entertainment, the best food I have ever eaten and the most beautiful ships. As you can tell they are by far my favorite cruise line.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:06 PM

Hey Courtney. I'm 25. I absolutely love RCCL. I've never been on any Celebrity cruises, but I can tell you that your experience on Royal Caribbean will definitely be a great one. I've been on Carnival and RCCL. I would much rather cruise with RCCL. Their ships are more elegant, there are better quality activities, better food. Bottom line, I just think RCCL is better overall. I would do a Carnival cruise again because they're usually cheaper, but RCCL would definitely be my first choice. Especially since you're traveling with your husband, you will appreciate the quality of the RCCL ships a lot more.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, carribean, celebrity, cruise, explorer, gem, miracle, norwegian, people, rccl, rcl, royal, seas, vs