Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2004, 09:03 AM

Our first cruise will be sep. 18 on Enchantment. We are concerned about spending (better yet, over spending) on all the little things that come up. Please give any inside info that we may need to prepare for (i.e, drinks, pictures, tips (we included this in our cruise fee),etc. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:03 AM

Our first cruise will be sep. 18 on Enchantment. We are concerned about spending (better yet, over spending) on all the little things that come up. Please give any inside info that we may need to prepare for (i.e, drinks, pictures, tips (we included this in our cruise fee),etc. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:08 AM

Oh man, it is hard not to spend on a cruise. If you set up a daily budget and then stick with it, you should be OK. All ships sell stuff aggressively, so if you have weak sales resistence, just say NO! Right when you board, you will be offered drinks...they are not free, so unless you really want one, take a pass.

What itinerary are you going on?

Tom
Old 08-04-2004, 12:52 PM

We are going to Ochos Rio Jamaica, and Grand Cayman.

We have an idea of what type of budget we want use for the trip, but it's still shaky.

Your example about the drinks is a perfect example. Neither one of really drink, and were more interested in the lemonade and juice than the soda's and alcohol, but we are unsure if there is an additional fee for that.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:48 PM

The Enchantment will have a drink station (usually near the pool) that offers coffee, tea, orange juice and the like in the morning and then switches to coffee, tea, lemonade, punch and such for the balance of the day. There is no charge for the beverages and it is a self-serve station so you can get all you want.

They will also offer free ice cream in the afternoon near the same station. There is also beverage stations in the Windjammer Cafe that are open most hours. One good buy if you drink sodas is to acquire an all-you-can-drink soda card at the begining of the cruise. I think they are around $25 or so. This will get you free cokes and such 24 hours a day.

If someone wanted to, they could go on a cruise and not spend a cent (other than gratuities)

Read the port reviews for both Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman to see what there is to do without spending a bundle. www.PortReviews.com

You guys will have a great time.

Tom
Old 08-06-2004, 01:31 PM

Be cautious about buying the pictures early on in the cruise. On my first few cruises I bought good pictures as I saw them displayed and by the end of the cruise I had a rather large collection and purchased at a premium price. Wait until the end of the cruise and then just select one or two of the best that offer the best memory of the trip and pass on the others. They are way too expensive. If you ned to usethe internet to stay in contact with those at home -wait until you get into ports and use the local internet cafes. At $.50 a minute rates can really rack up (particularly when the connection is slow - as it often is).
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-08-2004, 11:44 AM

this is great information for a first time cruiser. I was looking forward to photos and now know to wait to select the pictures I do want. I planned on buying them, but appriciate the tip. The internet cafe tip was great as well. Thanks! 33 days to departure...whooo hooo
Old 08-08-2004, 01:41 PM

Chetley, I'm glad you found my tips helpful. What ship and intinerary are you planning to take? Early September is a great time to cruise!
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-17-2004, 11:46 AM

I found in my past cruise that the biggest waste of money is the "Junk" you buy at ports.

I can't begin to count the stuff that I bought cause it was a "good deal" statue's, shot glasses, t-shirt that shred after one wash...just junk.

When you get home and look at all the crap you bought you realise where you could have cut back..

Sam
Old 08-18-2004, 05:38 AM

Thank you all for your tips. I appreciate it. We have started our countdown to our trip. 31 day's and counting.

Closed Thread

Tags
budget, budgeting, buying, card, crabbein, cruise, cruising, daily, drink, enchantment, forums, hidden, pass, pitfalls, royal, secret, soda