Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2005, 09:24 PM

I was all set to book Mariner of the Seas and just noticed today that it sails out of Port Canaveral (duh on my part). That would mean we'd have to fly into Orlando and then take the hour long shuttle to the port. We have family in Florida and we're not crazy about Orlando. We wouldn't want to fly down a day early and stay the night there.

So, I'm rethinking the whole thing. Because we've successfully recruited friends who've never gone on a cruise before and we've bragged so much about RC's Voyager class, we hate to switch them to another kind of ship.

We've traveled on Explorer twice when it was new and we loved it, but I imagine it's getting a little worn out. Has it been drydocked or will it be soon?

I read the reviews of Navigator and they were so mixed. Also, I'm frugal and paying nearly three thousand dollars for a cruise (balcony in February) just shocks me.

I would welcome any feedback on Explorer or Navigator. Is Navigator worth the extra money?

Old 07-30-2005, 06:19 AM

I sailed the Navigator of the Seas last October and also sailed the Mariner in the summer of 2004. I would compare the two very favorably. I wrote a review with a ton of pictures of the Navigator OTS located at

http://www.cruisereviews.com/RoyalCa...ftheSeas30.htm

I suspect that the pricing is so high as February is in huge demand. The cruise lines have been successful at gradually raising their rates since the recovery after 9/11 and if you haven't priced one recently, there is an element of sticker shock.

I wouldn't hesitate to book the Navigator of the Seas again.

Tom
Old 07-31-2005, 03:21 AM

I was on the Explorer in April and thought she still looked good. The only discernible difference (besides the fact that the Navigator is 2 yrs. younger) is in the alternative dining area. Where Portofinos is the only "specialty" restaurant on Exp., the Nav. has Portofinos and Chops Grille. Jade has also been added to the buffet area. Are the port visits very different? If not, I would not hesitate to sail the Explorer.

Of course, another option would be to reconsider the Mariner, fly in a day early but stay along the Space Coast near the port, rather than the Orlando area. Just a thought.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
marinar, mariner, marinernavigator, navigator, navigotor, seas