Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2005, 01:57 PM

Hi to all out there,

this time I am asking you something about a special cruise.

Weve got a good offer for a 14 night cruise from San Diego to Hawaii and backwards in may 2006 with the Radiance. I know two sisterships, the Jewel and the Brilliance and love them.
Unfortunately the reviews about Hawaii are some years old and I want to know, if there are some people with newer experiences.
Im a little bit afraid, about the warnings on the portreview site. Because of the long seadays between California and Hawaii on the Pacific.
I know Hawaii. We have been there in 1999 for our 25th wedding anniversary for a 14 day roundtrip on four islands. Im also concerned about the enormous prices for RCCL shore excursions, but I know, that it is difficult, to book some excursions on your own in the port or to take a cab, like you can do it in the Caribbean.

So, every comment and advice is welcome.

Thank you in advance, Marita

Old 10-18-2005, 02:55 PM

Hi Marita,
First of all, the Radiance is just as nice as the Jewel and Brilliance. As for the days at sea between San Diego and Hawaii, it is really a mixed bag. I have had some rough seas, but most of the time, what I noticed most was that it was significantly warmer each day as we got closer to Hawaii and vice versa returning to the US.

Actually, shore excursions can be just as easily arranged as they are in the Caribbean if you are interested in doing your own thing. In many cases, renting a car and venturing off on your own is the best way - but it does take some planning. When you start getting down to the "nitty-gritty", let me know and I will be happy to assist.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-19-2005, 04:42 AM

Hi Nancy, hi Tom

just booked the Radiance Cruise, starting may 7th. Unfortunately we have no time for a pre-stay in San Diego, Toms hometown. We have only one overnight stay, because we need some vacation days from my husband for our second home in the Netherlands.

Ive been in San Diego 6 years ago after our Hawaiian journey for about a week. So I know some interesting places in San Diego and La Jolla. But Raoul told me, that Tom might have some insider information for this short stay.

But we can talk about that some weeks before the cruise starts. Now Im preparing for the Splendour Transatlantic cruise and this weekend were going to Holland to close our summerhouse for the winter. I hope we are getting some nice october days at the Northsea. Here in germany fall is starting to show his ungracious sides, after some very beautiful golden october weeks.

Wish you all the best
Marita

Old 10-19-2005, 09:59 AM

I am sure we can discover some really fun things to do. San Diego is a great city. We just saw the end of a rainstorm and now the sun is back out and promises to stay out for some time.

If you have the time, I know of a walk along the beach in La Jolla that is probably one of the best in the world. Most folks spend time around the La Jolla Cove, but there is another walk that is far superior that most folks never see.

Tom
Old 10-19-2005, 11:52 AM

Hi Marita, I have some ideas for San Diego. The U.S.S. Midway aircraft carrier was retired in San Diego as a museum. She is docked about 1-2 berths away from where the cruise ships dock. You can buy tickets on the website, midway.org they are $15 a person. Also, I would suggest the Maritime Museum of San Diego. They have about 5-6 ships to tour, tickets I think were $10 a person. They also have a website. There is a Russian Submarine, a beautiful old ship that has circumnavigated the world several times. There is also the H.M.S. Surprise, which is the ship they used to film Master and Commander-The Far Side of The World, they have movie props on the ship. The Maritime Museum also, is where the cruise ships dock. I just thought I would offer these as suggestions. By the way, I used to be stationed in Bremerhaven, on a US Army Base, even though I was in the Air Force. Anyways, I remember those cold and damp North Sea days. I will look on a map to see where Wuppertal is. Enjoy your cruises. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-19-2005, 12:42 PM

Thanks Lori for your advices. We are travelling together with a german couple, making so many cruises per year that everybody must be jealous. I dont know, what they want to see. Maybe they want to relax for the rest of the day after the long flight from Frankfurt.

BTW, Wuppertal is about 30 km close to Dusseldorf and 50 km close to Cologne. And Wuppertal is famous for a special tram, with a sort of suspension railway, which is unique in the whole world.
Bremerhaven is about 300 km far away from Wuppertal. And the small city where our summerhouse in Holland is is close to Amsterdam and the Northsea and 3 1/2 hours riding for us.
So, not that far away.

Thanks for your good wishes
Marita

Old 11-01-2005, 07:41 PM

Hello,

In San Diego you can get many places on foot or by public transportation and the San Diego Zoo is a DO NOT MISS! I can't tell you how to get there but I do know that the is excellent bus transportation to and from the cruise terminal to the Zoo and for 4 people, a cab would not be prohibitive.

In Hawaii you should consider renting a car on each of the islands. Car rentals even for larger cars are very reasonable in Hawaii and the car rental agencies will pick you up at the ship and return you to the ship. It is very easy to drive in Hawaii and this will allow you to see and do much more much more.

Have a great time,

Fred

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, diego, hawaii, radiance, review, reviews, san