Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2007, 03:44 PM

I just read that both Carnival and RCI are banning passengers from carrying on soda and bottled water. I guess their sales are not what they used to be.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:44 PM

I just read that both Carnival and RCI are banning passengers from carrying on soda and bottled water. I guess their sales are not what they used to be.

<edited by Dave to correct message title>
Old 04-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Administrator

While I feel violating the cruise line rules is wrong, I also know the difference between reasonable and stupid. I fear things are getting into the stupid category now. This is the same logic used by the MTA in NYC when ridership on buses and subways declines after a price increase - "hmmm, we need to increase the price again". And then ridership goes down further, or violators jump the turnstiles more often.

Frankly I was disappointed to learn that Carnival had essentially eliminated 12 ounce beers and replaced them with 16 ounce versions at almost a dollar extra per serving. I guess the larger beers were meant to "cover" the outrageous price increase. The cruise lines are beginning to cut their own noses off to spite their faces.

I'll continue to comply with the rules, and I have no problem with their banning personal booze, but when is enough enough? What if I don't like Coca-Cola products and I am only wanting a few Pepsi's to drink? This is taking on the colors of silliness in the quest for profits at an alarming rate!
Old 04-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Administrator

To add to what I just said......fine, go ahead and ban personal soft drinks too but you damn well better have ALL the major brands aboard the ship. If a passenger can't bring Pepsi aboard then RCI better stock it. Or Dr. Pepper for those who don't like Mr. Pibb.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:32 PM

Dave, When did this go into effect? I came off the Sensation last sunday. We did take some cokes and adult beverages and no one said anything. We also spent enough on their bars.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Remember this is the RCI section and not Carnival. That said - Carnival changed their policy.....about a week ago.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:09 PM

This requires a friendly uproar from some of their most loyal customers, us.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Yes, this is getting silly. I understand and support the alcohol thing on the basis that it controls people getting too drunk (I'll admit this is a stretch) while aboard the ship, but profit is the only excuse for banning water and soda. To me it is quite annoying to deny someone bringing a 12 pack of Pepsi aboard just to boost bar sales. And that can be the only reason. And that is Bravo Sierra unless you can provide me with my soft drink of choice, which none of them can. Coke has the whole market wrapped up. If I can board the ship and order a Coke, a Pepsi, a Dr. Pepper, a Mr. Pibb, a 7-UP, a Sprite, then fine. But no cruise line does that.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:14 PM

Hi how can we find out if this is Carnival's new policy or RCI's. I am cruising May 6th on Adventure of the Seas, so I would like to know. I am diabetic and I drink diet pepsi, I can't tolerate diet coke products. Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:25 PM

I just got off the phone with my friend who sailed on Grandeur this week. They had to go down to claim their one suitcase because there was liquid in it. Since it was water and pop, they were able to keep it. There were a lot of upset college students who had their liquor taken from them, never to be seen again!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed ** the things that you didn't do than ** the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain

My cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100

Closed Thread

Tags
allowed, bottled, bring, caribbean, carribean, cruise, cruises, liberty, norwegian, permitted, royal, seas, ship, water, waters