Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 07:53 AM

I haven't flown since the 9-11 restrictions have been in place. With all of the gel-type restrictions what do you do about flying to take a cruise? We will go from airport to hotel to cruise. All of which do not leave a chance to get reasonably priced toiletries. We have 5 people going and I just can't see taking all those little bottles of soap/shampoo/ etc. I know I can put them in checked but is that really a smart idea either? Aren't they rough with baggage? We won't have rental car so no walmart run in Florida.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 02-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Administrator

You have no choice in the matter. TSA will not allow anything over 3 ounces in your carry-on bags, so it is either put it in checked baggage or figure out a way to get larger quantities once you are at the port.

We always use the stuff provided by the ship and hotel so it isn't a big issue for us.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:08 AM

I know its tedious, but if you have a particular brand you prefer to use, just put a 3 oz. bottle of whatever in everyone's luggage. Just cap them tightly and put them in zip-lock bags.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Hi shelby. I've flown a lot recently, mainly for business, but also for pleasure.

Check the particular rules by going to your airline's Web site. But, in general, there's something in place called 3-1-1, meaning that if you carry on any liquids, they all need to be 3 ounces or less, in one clear, quart-sized ziploc bag, and one bag per person.

The 3 ounce bottles must fit inside the ziploc and positioned so that the bag lays flat. In other words, the bottles should be side by side rather than one atop another. The bottles should also be marked with the capacity, if possible.

Here's what I do: I have a quart-sized ziploc that I fill with a 2-ounce container of saline solution, a couple of pairs of extra contact lenses, 3-ounce hand sanitizer, and sample sizes of toothpaste and conditioner. The ziploc is in the top of my carry-on bag. That way, when I get to the security line, I can easily remove it and place it in one of the bins they provide, as this bag needs to go through the x-ray machine by itself.

With five people, you'll be able to carry on quite a bit.

When I've traveled on longer trips, I've placed shampoo, mouthwash, etc., inside checked luggage, inside a couple of sealed bags so that all would be protected if it sprung a leak. The bottles in your checked luggage may be larger than 3 ounces. Again, check with the airline for particulars.

Hope that helps. I'm happy to answer any additional questions before I fly out yet again next week.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:56 AM

I know there is no way "around" it- I just wondered what people who are used to it do. We weren't planning on doing carryons for each person(3 are children) But then you've got guys stuff vs girls....no tear for daughter and my severe eczema things I need. I was considering buying them when we got to Florida but it doesn't look like we will be anywhere not horrendously expensive.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 02-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator

You can still have a total of 5 ziploc bags (one per person) even if each person does not have a carry-on bag. (This is one advantage of traveling with kids, which we do, too. )
Old 02-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Here is the 3-1-1 Info
Old 02-18-2007, 01:36 AM

Thank you Dave, I was looking for that exact information everywhere and could not find it. Since I am from Germany I do not know about the restrictions within the U.S. .
Lucy
Old 02-18-2007, 02:04 AM

Lucy,

They rules are the same in Germany and Europe now (effective since Nov 6th). Check these sites

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/info_and_s...?l=de&nodeid=1756025

http://www.munich-airport.de/DE/Area...eck/index.html

Carmen

SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN
This Historic Landmark needs your help!
Find out what you can do at
www.save-the-delta-queen.org
Old 02-18-2007, 04:23 AM

Oh, thanks a lot, I did not know that either. I am not much of a flightperson. I prefer the ships... ( - I have to fly in order to board the ship...)
Lucy

Closed Thread