Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Administrator

I guess we missed it, but on June 20th RCI issued a press release regarding the Oasis Of The Seas itineraries. You can read it here .

Another tidbit I learned during our recent voyage on the Rhapsody...the lifeboats on Oasis will each hold 375 people, which means they will be approximately twice as large as current lifeboats. I wonder if that size means someone with a masters certificate will have to be in command of each lifeboat? I wonder if they'll have to do the drill in shifts? Imagine corralling 5400 passengers and lining them up on the open deck? Should be interesting to see.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 AM

With Nassau on the Easten itin and Jamaica on the Western, it's a good thing it's such a desirable ship. I don't think I'd consider those routes any other way.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Dave, SS Norway's tenders could hold 400 each. I don't know about the requirements to be in command -- perhaps Svein will drop by and let us know. I imagine it wouldn't be much different for Oasis of the Seas, unless regulations have changed a lot.

Neil, that is precisely why you will not find me on the ship any time soon. I'm not fond of very large ships to begin with (my next two hold 1300 and 800, respectively), yet an interesting itinerary would make me think twice.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:46 AM

I can't understand why every time RCI releases a new class of ship they always put them on the least desirable itins starting out. They did the same thing with Freedom and Liberty when they released them. Same ol, same ol itins. I guess they have limited options for such large vessels but Nassau? The one upside, perhaps this will keep demand and pricing from spiraling out of control. Yeah right, I'm dreaming!

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Administrator

I recall being told that officers with masters licenses for X tons (or something like that) had to operate the Norway tenders. I was thinking of Svein when I posted that question.

Yes, other than Cozumel the itineraries do nothing for me. Falmouth may be a "new" port but it is really just a new dock being built in between Mo Bay and Ocho Rios. I'm sure the Jamaican experience will be the same . Nassau? Heck, why not add Freeport and really make it exciting?
Old 07-06-2008, 01:25 PM

Lisa,

unless I am mistaken, "Norway's" tenders were classed as coastal ferries. They were not to be used as "lifeboats" in an emergency.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 07-08-2008, 11:15 AM

Fortunately, we have never done a eastern carib. So, those ports definately work for us. I am very excited. I am really looking forward to the 3 days at sea. I am going to be all over that ship. I like to walk around alot, and explore. I am not one to sit around and relax. So I really enjoy everything a big ship has to offer. Does anyone know if there is a Flowrider on her?? I will be very disappointed if there is not. I had a BLAST on it on the Freedom. Wiping out and all. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator

They haven't mentioned the Flowrider yet, but I'd really be surprised to not see it on the Oasis. Perhaps a larger one!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:25 AM

Dave- are you going to book her? If yes, when do you think? Maybe we can get a little cruise chat cruise on her. You never know. I am open for summer 2010/11, or Jan 2010/11. Yeah buddy, I can't wait. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Lori, I am going to book the Oasis but not until the ship has 6 months or so of operating time. I really want to make sure any kinks are worked out with a ship that large. Summer 2010 most likely.

Closed Thread

Tags
good, itenary, itin, itineraries, itinerary, oasis, review, reviews, sea, seas, ship