Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Casanova frankenstein:
Many of my friends had travel over the years with RCCL and they say their services had been changing, Now what usually was free, have a "NOMINAL FEE" and the keep charging for everything that was usually free, like Johnny Rockets.
The cruise lines are just like any other business and we are in tough economic times. So the cruise lines need to cut fares because, let's face it, cruising is a luxury and people are changing how they vacation. So the cruise lines (and it's not just RCI) cut fares to keep the cruisers coming aboard and now they need to make up the revenue they've lost. How? By charging a nominal fee for that which used to be included in the cruise fare. This does not make for a "bad" cruise, just a cruise that is different than what you are used to. All you have to do in return is decide whether or not that Johnny Rocket's burger is worth what they want for it. If yes, then down the hatch. If no, then go sip a mimosa on the poolside and relax.

My first cruise experience was what other passengers called a nightmare and still, I figured if this was the "worst" then I could not wait to see "normal" or the best because quite frankly I didn't see the same things wrong that other passengers did or if I did I didn't let it ruin my mood. In the end your cruise is what you make of it, you can relax and enjoy the positive or you can be uptight and focus solely on the negative.

Sorry for such a long post.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator

The cover charge for Johnny Rockets has been in place for several years. It isn't anything new.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
when there is 24 hour room service FREE!
Not anymore.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:04 AM

I believe the Johnny Rockets surcharge was put in place mostly to cut down on the teens hanging out all day long in Johnny Rockets. No one else had a chance to enjoy it. If the cruise lines wanted to save some cost they could save on ink and paper by cutting out the mounds of flyers that are stuffed in your cabin everyday.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Banned

Heads up aficionados of the mediocre, those thrilled to ride in steerage and defenders of RCL, there is a yummy Cajun shrimp special next week at Red Lobsterů hee hee
Old 01-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Dining room food on mainstream cruise lines has always been banquet grade for the most part. Those of us who actually know something about cruising are fully aware of it and your post is not news to any of us. If you want 5 star meals then you need to book a cruise with a premium line like Seaborne or Crystal. But then you are paying a much higher price for the cruise.

As for steerage remark, what did you expect? A palatial suite like all the cabin scenes from "Love Boat"? You have to pay for space, just like I did this past summer on an RCI cruise where I had an owner's suite. I don't think 600 square feet is steerage.

Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:30 AM
I see Victim has not reponded to anyones comments....Typical! Sounds like a person very hard to please. They are the worst kind of passangers. I have been on 7 cruises and yet to be on a BAD cruise. Your vacation is what you make it. Sure I can find some things to complain about on every ship. I think RCCL has the worst breakfast buffet but the entertainment is the best! Carnival is too tacky for my taste but they have the BEST pizza and burgers! HAL definitely caters to the older crowd but oh so much more elegant!

I could go on and on about the pros and cons but the pros will always outweigh the cons. I would cruise 6 months out of the year if I could afford it. Never been on a bad cruise and don't think I ever will. The ones who complain the most are usually the ones who do not tip either. Always looking for a free ride.

My daughter is a waitress putting herself through law school. She tells me about some of her demanding customers. Had a couple with two teenagers for dinner on Christmas eve. They were on a 45 minute wait (busy). My daughter is an excellent server and very attentive to her customers. She appologized for the delay in their food coming out. Took 18 minutes according to the printout. She offered them FREE desserts and they orderd desserts that stated 12 minutes as they are baked to order. She came out with their free desserts and they were gone. Seems they told the manager that they waited longer for their desserts than their main course. They were leaving and not paying. They got $50.00 worth of free food and stiffed my daughter. Did they think she was cooking the food too? Those are the type of people who look for a free meal. What are they teaching their children? They obviously have never worked in the restaurant business or they would no know better. My daughter is taxed on her totals so besides getting free food and not tipping she was charged on that $50.00. Luckily for every bad customer she has she has a wonderful customer. I hope these people never take a cruise. I can imagine they will be the ones down in line at the pursers to get the gratuities removed.

On our first cruise our room steward told us how he had a mother and son who were so demanding and did not give him a gratuity. The most demanding seem to be the ones who also do not tip. I feel sorry for the ship personel.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:34 AM

What's wrong with a Cajun shrimp special at Red Lobster?

Victim, you get what you pay for. I won't go into the "expecting champagne on a beer budget" routine.

Your experience was different than the vast majority of RCI cruisers. Maybe I'd hate your favorite restaurant at home. So what? Vote with your feet and move on.

Sandy
Old 01-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Administrator

I've been in the internet forum moderating game for many years and I recall a guy from the 90's on another board I help run. He went on one cruise (Carnival) and just because he didn't like their iced tea he spent considerable time annoying us about it. He acted like he was a seasoned cruiser based on his one trip. He trashed Carnival at every opportunity. He trashed all cruise lines too. Anyone who liked cruising was a fool. Just because the iced tea was not up to his standards. Anyone who challenged him was ridiculed as being a low life who didn't know good from bad. Some of you other members may know who I am talking about.

The point is that he was saying his standards were the only ones to accept and that anyone who didn't follow his standards was some low-class slob.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned

Dave, If the shoe fits... enjoy your 600 square feet...I am very, very impressed by that... hee hee

Ta ta

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, caribbean, prepurchsed, rccl, royal, thread, victim