Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 11:44 AM

This will be our first cruise ever! Excited, anxious, nervous all that stuff! What kind of clothes do I take? What is the weather like: Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman. Also, any info on our cabin: 9560 w/balcony. How are the views?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:50 PM

Welcome to Cruise-Chat! Your going to the Caribbean so you might want to wear clothes for warm weather. It might rain, and it might not. The weather in the Western Caribbean is pretty much like Southern Florida but a little warmer. The views from a balcony cabin are awesome. Bring your binoculars if you have some.

Sonny
Old 01-18-2009, 05:31 AM

Hello, we will be on the same cruise. As Sonny said, the weather should be nice and fair. Any time you are in the Caribbean, there is a chance of showers but usually they don't last long.

Navigator is a Voyager class ship with lots of different things to do and see on board. Your cabin will be great with great views.

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 01-18-2009, 09:07 AM

Thank you for your fdback. Any more info would be appreciated
Old 01-18-2009, 11:58 AM
As for packing - - - if you are water people, you'll want tho bring two swim suits; one will dry while you where the other. Don't worry about pool/beach towels, they're supplied by the ship; however, if you take a ship's towel on an excursion and don't return it, you will be charged for it. Clothing is "resort casual" - what would you wear on vacation? If you'll be eating in the dining room for dinner, remember no shorts or jeans. I prefer wearing dresses to khaki crop pants or burmudas; I pack three casual dresses and one "plain black dress" for dinner. One pair of sandals for me which covers dinner and everyday wear. For my husband, he gets two pairs of docker-type slacks, two or three polo type shirts and one button down to where with his tie and sport coat on formal nights. He has black Rockport walking shoes which go for both walking around and for dinner. The theory for packing is - lay out everything you think you need, then disregard half of it! Enjoy your cruise.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:01 PM

We wear a lot of "dinner clothes" twice--I pack a couple knit dresses and sandals, a dressy black jersey dress (you will see it all--I am going to 50 year old prom to "did you know it wasa formal night? really??) I have also worn capris to the dining room with just a cute T-shirt. Husband always wears dockers and polo shirt combo. We both pick a base color and stick with it so only one pair of non flip flop type shoes plus I pack tennis shoes (for touring and also working out) and work out wear--love the fitness center, jogging track. If you are water people bring two or more swim suits. You need a cover-up for getting around the ship, very few people act like they are on a beach and go around the halls and public areas in swim wear. No one ever says I didn't bring enough clothing. If you have a balcony bring a few clothes pins--you don't want your swim suit top to blow off when you are underway! There is a little pull out clothes line in the shower under the exhaust for the bathroom for drying. Lots of people bring insulated cups with lids and carry lemonade and water from the windjammer buffet (commonly referred to as the foodjammer) to avoid bar charges for those items on deck. Sun screen is expensive on the ship, it may be a pain to haul several bottles from home but worth it--you need it every daylight hour in the caribbean. I ask the cabin steward to empty the fridge in my room--no accidently eating that $2.50 snickers bar--and we keep some water bottles and extra desserts in there. The Navigator is my favorite voyager class ship and we would go on her again in a heartbeat. We love the gameshows on the ship (love and marriage, Quest, RCCL Idol, etc.) Check you seapass account frequently both for errors and to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

DONT GO OFF BY YOURSELF in Ocho Rios. Yeah, I really meant to shout that at you. You will see other people do it but people familiar with the city don't, even a lot of natives don't. Stick with a ship tour or stay in the Pier area (Margaritaville, a gaited shopping area). Grand Cayman is clean and safe as far as I am concerned and one of my favorite ports.

Pack a positive attitude!
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-18-2009, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the replies from all! Keep them coming!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:09 PM

The fitness area is in the forward section. In the same area there's a large mineral spa, sauna, and a steam room; showers and a locker room. You can go down to the Cafe Promenade on deck 5 and get coffee, sandwiches, and cookie anytime night or day. NO CHARGE!

Sonny
Old 01-19-2009, 04:23 AM

Wow, this is a great string of informational tidbits. I've started a word document to include "things to take" (i.e. swimsuit cover-up, binoculars, insulated cups, sunscreen), and also "things to do" (dont go off in Ocho Rios alone, food available anytime at the Cafe Promenade, remove food from fridge). These are all great suggestions, thanks for the inadverant help!!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 AM

I'd like to say we don't mean to scare anybody about Jamaica BarbH, but we do. What most people know about Jamaica is the resort areas and beaches we see on the travel channel. It is a really poor country and there are desperate people there. We have used Shoretrips.com in Jamaica, but generally stick with a ship tour if we go ashore there. Plus it is the port in the Caribbean you are most likely to be hassled at to buy--everything! It gets tiresome. As I said, poor, desperate people. And tourists represent opportunity and money, for both the honest vendor and the criminal. Friends of ours took a horseback ride (not ship sponsored) and ended up off the track in this little village where the guides were making deals on joints where the size of a finger--while their little kids were along. They wondered if they would ever be seen again! Too great a cultural difference.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, clothing, cruise, february, pack, sauna