Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 10:24 AM

I just want to let everyone know that even if you booked your cruise with RC before the airlines started there baggage fees, you may still have to pay. I've contacted RC and they stated to me that they don't reserve airfare until 30 days before you travel so you have to pay whatever the fees are. RC refuses to reimburse us these fees even though we booked our cruise well in advance of the new baggage policies. Hopefully if enough people complain RC will be forced to deal with this issue.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:41 AM

My question is, why do you feel a new fee imposed by the airlines after your booking is RCCL's problem? If you promised to buy something for a friend and they'd promised to reimbures you and by the time you got to the store to get it, the price went up, would it be okay if the friend just paid you what the price was when they saw the item and stuck you with the difference?

By the way, if your government taxes climb before you sail, you'll have to pay for that too. Princess announced recently that they would no longer even guarantee flight rates that are booked and paid for. I'm not talking fees here, the actual air price is no longer locked in at time of booking or even final payment. It is subject to change all the way until you get on the flight. I expect with the add'l fees and rate changes, this will become an industry-wide change soon.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

It is true that, depending on the air line, it doesn't matter if you booked your own air a year ago for a flight today, you might have to pay the baggage surcharge if it applies to your ticket class. I know Delta made a business decision to allow a rebate to those who booked air prior to April 9 for flights after May 5 (when they started charging $25 for the second bag), but not all airlines are doing the same.

Cruise line air is typically booked close to the cruise date, but it really doesn't matter since the cruise line has no control over airline surcharges, government surcharges, etc.

This is just one of those things that isn't going to be changed. The cruise line is adding a fuel surcharge for a reason and they aren't about to eat airline surcharges. Caveat emptor.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:24 AM

Northwest airlines just instated the baggage fee for the 1st bag. If you purchased your ticket before July 10th you don't have to pay it. I think when Meliss made her final payment on her cruise/air package she believed she was purchasing the air at that time. Which your average passenger would believe that; not knowing the cruise line waits until about 30 days prior to actually issue the ticket. The final payment is usually paid about 75 days prior to sailing. If the airlines changed the rules in between the time of final payment and the ticket issue date, then the passenger is stuck with the new rules. It appears this is what has happened with Meliss, but she was unaware of how and when the cruise line issues tickets. It's unfortunate, but it's something the cruise lines couldn't predict either. Don't let something minor like this ruin a start to a great vacation.

Welcome to cruise chat Meliss.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Hello Meliss, welcome to Cruise-Chat! Thanks for posting the heads-up about how it works when booking your airline through a cruise line. I've been on dozens of cruise and have yet to book through the cruise line. I always buy my own airline tickets. I purchased tickets in April for my October cruise with Midwest Airlines, and found out I won't have to pay a fee for my second piece of luggage. In the future my wife and I will be leaving that extra luggage at home if possible. Things are sure changing for those of us that love to cruise. I may not be able to afford to cruise as often as I have in the past. I feel that if the airline has to charge for luggage, coffee, water, or what ever—I'm all for it if it keeps the price of the ticket down. At least I have an option to pay the price of extra charges or pack light and eat less. If the price of oil keeps going up most of us we be staying home a lot more.

Sonny
Old 07-12-2008, 01:09 PM

As I posted on a different thread, my TA feels the cruise bookings are up--the no surprises in the price factoring in heavily for would-be travelers. I deal with an agency that charters air (massive amounts of cruises) at somewhat of a discount. I have never taken the air offered as a package with the cruise, having the option of this charter air. My parents always book with the cruise out of some fear regarding protection due to flight delays or cancellation. I am not sure how this works--but they sure have some rotten flight times, connections, etc. in exchange for this protection.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Hi Meliss, and welcome to cruise-chat.

This policy of charging for second (or even first!) pieces of luggage is already impacting the way we pack -- and we booked our air independently before the policy went into effect. Although we're grandfathered, we don't want the hassle at the check-in counter, so we are not taking our garment bag this time.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:13 AM

I am not an expert cruiser, this is only my third one, the first two (which were on NCL) I booked the airfare myself. This time we are flying into and out of different cities so I thought it would be easier to let the cruise line book the air. I booked everything online. My issue is that nowhere in that process did a disclaimer tell me that the airfare won't be booked for 30-45 days before my travel and that I would incur any new charges that may come up (be taxes, price increases, or baggage charges). If there was a disclaimer, I probably would have tried to book the air myself. Even coffee cups have a warning that the coffee might be hot! I just think that somewhere I should have been able to find how my airfare was to be booked. Since I started dealing with this issue, one of the airlines we are flying, NWA, has started charging for the first bag checked. So now I will even have to pay more.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I thought it would be easier to let the cruise line book the air. I booked everything online.
Hi meliss, sorry for the tone in my first response. The last line in your original post about encouraging complaints just struck me worng. I didn't mean to be so testy.

The post above is a very good warning to others. Booking online has its disadvantages. One of which is, you can't get advice or ask questions. You can't get the disclaimers that T/As are trained to provide. I'd encourage new travelers to always have the assistance of either a very good cruise oriented T/A or at the bare minimum deal with the cruiseline direct by phone. There are some things that need to be asked and covered. Special needs? Age requirements, flight info, time frame for docs and how to get them. Things like online registration needs to be discussed. If you book online and plug in a CC, you're doing so at your own risk and assuming the responsibily for knowing the terms and conditions. I believe most have a little box you have to check with such terms, conditions and disclaimers. It's one of those things like downloading software that nobody ever really reads but in this case is very important if you are new to cruising. Rather than trying to understand all the lawyer talk in that text, it is a much better idea to speak to someone trained to guide you and advise you. I'm sorry you haven't recieved that type of help but it is available to you through you local T/A or many other sources for professionals in the field. The posters here will also be a great source of information, just ask if you have other questions or concerns. I'd also like to say a belated welcome to cruise-chat!

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-22-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
My question is, why do you feel a new fee imposed by the airlines after your booking is RCCL's problem? If you promised to buy something for a friend and they'd promised to reimbures you and by the time you got to the store to get it, the price went up, would it be okay if the friend just paid you what the price was when they saw the item and stuck you with the difference?

By the way, if your government taxes climb before you sail, you'll have to pay for that too. Princess announced recently that they would no longer even guarantee flight rates that are booked and paid for. I'm not talking fees here, the actual air price is no longer locked in at time of booking or even final payment. It is subject to change all the way until you get on the flight. I expect with the add'l fees and rate changes, this will become an industry-wide change soon.

Cheers, Neil

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread