Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 AM

Any input on this ship. Looking into a 4 day but someone had mentioned to me that it is a very old ship and not the best. They say it has been refurbished, anyone been lately?
Thanks Leigh

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 09-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Administrator

I think Sonny was on the MOTS last month, but he is off again on another cruise so he probably won't respond for a few days.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:09 PM

Thanks for that info Dave. I will check in with him when he gets back. I'm sure it will be a great cruise regardless.
Leigh

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 09-03-2007, 04:48 PM

I was on MJ (notMOTS!) last year in August and looking forward to seeing the improvements. I've read elsewhere that the refurbish is great; they added a Johnny Rockets and Deli on the 12th deck. Mostly folks who cruised her before and after speak to how much more comfortable the new bedding is.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Administrator

MOTS=Majesty Of The Seas. A common internet term for this vessel.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:36 PM

The only thing I think may be a surprise on MOTS if you haven't sailed the older ships is cabin size. Interior cabins are only 119sf, not unusual for ships this age but if you've cruised previously on newer ships it can look awfully small when you arrive. I've had clients ask why I booked them in a broom closet, lol.

Cheers, Neil
Old 09-03-2007, 05:49 PM

Okay Dave, didn't mean to be offensive. But, then, what would be Mariner of the Seas? Or Monarch of the Seas? I was just saying, that's how they refer to her in the onboard literature. And anyone on this board trumps me in cruising experience - my last cruise before MJ last year was the Flavia (Costa Linea) in 1968! So, Neil, my cabin was spacious compared to the bunk-bed inside cabin on the Flavia. And in 1968 we took showers in what my cabin mate referred to as "the box" down the hall. . .
Old 09-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator

No offense! The Majesty was first among the ships you named. So it is MOTS, at least to me and some others. But feel free to call it whatever you wish. The MOTS can be confused with the Norwegian Majesty when people simply call it the Majesty.

And where are my manners? Welcome to cruise-chat! I'm sure we'd all love to hear about the 1968 cruise on the Flavia.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:57 PM

So seriously what is the shorthand for the others? (Monarch and Mariner?) As for the 1968 cruise - it may have been 1969. I was in college, and my girlfriend and I were trying to sign up with a group going on the other ship - what was it? A Norwegian? But they filled up their block on it and we got bumped to the Flavia. We drove to Miami in my then new Ford Maverick, got a ticket for speeding which the officer took cash for and there went our spending money (the cruise itself I remember was $75 apiece). We got to Miami and couldn't find the dock, so we stopped at a gas station to ask and the guy told us, "Go down that road, straight, and then, you will see the sea!" And, of course, close quarters, "the box" shower and all, of course, with our young selves, we had major fun. A couple of the crew got kinda fresh with us one night (from Alabama, what did we know about Latin men?) but we just told them no and kinda stuck closer together after that. Some others from our college were on the same ship and, we suspected, were high on things other than the libations (this was 1968 or '69, after all). We met a couple of guys who said they worked for NASA and they bought us drinks and we had lots of fun with our no spending money left selves. I just finished going online and Googled "Flavia" and brought up some of the old post cards! Yes, that was she, all right. My first cruise, I was 2, and my parents were returning to the U.S. from having worked civilian jobs in Germany after WWII. And the worst storm came up on the Mediteranean (sp?)and I remember going in to breakfast with my Mother and no one was there (too sick!) and the ship rolled and pitched and I could see the waves crashing into the porthole in our cabin. And everything would slide to one side, then the other. Mother found a silver-handled umbrella that slid out that she kept ever after. I just remember enough about that to know to pay attention at muster, because if something does happen, one does need to know the things they tell you then. So much for memories; now I get the 55+ discount! Cruising is still just the most fun, though, isn't it?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:35 PM

Mediterranean. One "t", 2 "r's". It was right there on the page, if I would have looked. I tried to edit it on my post, but the system said I didn't have access - ? Anyway, I need to turn in for tonight. Happy Cruising - or - Happy Cruise Planning!

Closed Thread