Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 01:42 PM

I'm flying in from Newark, NJ. It seems that only Continental and American Airlines flies directly to Miami. I was considering flying into Ft. Lauderdale and renting a car and driving the rest of the way to Miami. Is this a good idea? or do you have a better way.
Susan
Old 02-02-2008, 01:42 PM

I'm flying in from Newark, NJ. It seems that only Continental and American Airlines flies directly to Miami. I was considering flying into Ft. Lauderdale and renting a car and driving the rest of the way to Miami. Is this a good idea? or do you have a better way.
Susan
Old 02-03-2008, 01:16 PM

All I can say is that you may want to weigh the options in terms of cost. If the rental car and parking (if applicable) is going to end up costing more than flying directly to Miami, then I would recommend taking a flight right to Miami. You may want to go on Mapquest to see how far of a drive you are in for if you drive from Fort Lauderdale to Miami.

Seeing as how I live in NJ, I have flown out of Newark numerous times, and you want to allow yourself at least 1 1/2 hours before your flight. I had a 7 am flight when I flew down to Miami for my cruise, and got to Newark Airport around 5:30 and it's a good thing I did, because the check in line and security line were long. If you can print your boarding pass ahead of time and go to the bag drop check in line for your airline. Newark is Continental's hub, which is why they have nonstop flights to Miami as well as numerous other destinations.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 AM

Hi kteach, welcome to Cruise-Chat. There are shuttle services that run between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. It's about a 45 minute drive/ride if the traffic is good. I would highly recommend coming in a day before your cruise leaves. If it is not possible, I wouldn't chance flying into Ft. Lauderdale and then taking a shuttle to Miami. You can visit the Ft. Lauderdale's airport website or the Miami's airport website for shuttle information. We have used SuperShuttle in the past, but they can take a while depending on the number of stops they have to make. Best wishes for a fantastic cruise and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:59 AM

Hi Susan, welcome to Cruise-Chat! I've done the Ft. Lauderdale to Miami scenario dozens of times. If your flying in on the day of your cruise, it would be easier to take a shuttle. If you rent a car, you'll have to take a taxi or shuttle from the drop-off location to the Port of Miami. Some of the car rentals have free shuttle service to the port, so make sure you ask. I rent a car if I come in the day before the cruise, but never on the day of the cruise.

Hope this helps...

Sonny

Old 02-04-2008, 03:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kteach:
Susan

Hi!

We have taken the shuttle several times from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami because of the difference in cost for the plane fares. We have never had a problem..I don't think we used the same ones each time, I just contacted them when we arrived. We did fly down the day before and the shuttle took us to a hotel near the port of Miami that had their own shuttle to the port in the morning. If I remember correclty it was about $50 for the two of us and our baggage.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise!
Old 02-05-2008, 09:04 AM
hi we are flying into miami next year but we have to go to ft lauderdale. we are thinking of hiring a car from miami airport for 1 day and leaving the car in ft lauderdale. we would like to know were is the best place to get an hotel in ft laurderdale for easy access to the port. just so on the day of the cruise we can get a quick cab ride to the port. any suggestions please

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-06-2008, 05:44 PM
someone out there must have stayed in ft lauderdale. help

Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 PM

Chris, most of our discussions of Ft. Lauderdale hotels take place in our Port Hotels and Transfers section, such as this thread. You can search that section for other threads regarding hotels in Ft. Lauderdale as well.

Sandy
Old 02-07-2008, 03:37 AM
thanks sandy big help thank you

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, carribean, cruise, day, drive, flight, fly, fort, ft, howto, lauderdale, miami, port, royal, staying, time