Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2006, 09:16 PM

Reluctantly, i will be taking a cruies on this ship soon, so as not to dissapoint my wife. I am leery about staying in such a tight cabin. After informing the agent that I wanted a room that would provide me more space and a window and less chance of motion sickness, we were booked in an oceanview room on the 7th deck in the very front, where we were told is a very good spot. I have been researching this area and see various remarks from loved the front to its a noisy area from the wind and motors and anchor and crew going about thier business. IT does not seem that there are many oceanview rooms available but more balcony rooms. so the questions is, what experiences has anyone had in front rooms with all of these variables and should I change to a balcony room in the middle of the ship? I dont want to be sorry, I dont really need a balcony, but for an extra 200 bucks if its worth the peace of mind then ill go for it.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:16 PM

Reluctantly, i will be taking a cruies on this ship soon, so as not to dissapoint my wife. I am leery about staying in such a tight cabin. After informing the agent that I wanted a room that would provide me more space and a window and less chance of motion sickness, we were booked in an oceanview room on the 7th deck in the very front, where we were told is a very good spot. I have been researching this area and see various remarks from loved the front to its a noisy area from the wind and motors and anchor and crew going about thier business. IT does not seem that there are many oceanview rooms available but more balcony rooms. so the questions is, what experiences has anyone had in front rooms with all of these variables and should I change to a balcony room in the middle of the ship? I dont want to be sorry, I dont really need a balcony, but for an extra 200 bucks if its worth the peace of mind then ill go for it.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:33 PM

My advice is to go with a balcony in the center. Not because of the negative things you mentions, but because it's the best. I always book balcony cabins after trying inside and oceanview cabins. Most people will say it's worth the extra $$. The Explorer is one of my favorite ships. DON'T miss the ice show!
Old 07-27-2006, 03:55 PM

quote:
The Explorer is one of my favorite ships. DON'T miss the ice show!

Sonny, and you talk about Penny3333 doing her "sales pitch" for Princess?

Old 07-29-2006, 02:47 AM

My wife and I cruised on the Explorer in June and were in 9202, which is classified as a larger stateroom. Having never cruised before, I had nothing to which to compare the room.

Acceptable "roominess" is quite subjective. Suffice it to say that our Niece had a standard balcony cabin on deck eight. While yes the balcony was nice, my wife and I personally preferred our stateroom which, at 211 sq. ft. was more than marginally larger than our Niece's. Additionally, the Porthole could best be described as a "Picture Porthole" as it is quite large -- so large in fact that during the stop in St. Maarten, one of the smaller members of the cruise was actually standing in the exterior well of the porthole with a harness on, powerwashing the window and the surrounding superstructure.

My wife wore a patch that she put on the day prior to the cruise and changed every day as directed and she never experience any motion sickness. She was somewhat confident that had she not worn the patch she may have got a become queasy. She also did not suffer any side effects. I chose not to wear it. Not only did I not become nauseous, I actually enjoyed the slight motion I felt and it certainly aided me in having nine sequential nights of the best nights' sleep I've enjoyed in an awfully long time.

You sounded a bit apprehensive in your original posting. Hope that you have a "vacation of a lifetime" type cruise that we enjoyed.

TDH
Old 07-31-2006, 04:05 AM

If you are considering staying at a regular ocean view cabin, then choose deck 3 ( cat. H ), mid ship
Old 07-31-2006, 04:10 AM

balcony cabins on deck 7 and deck 6 ( cat. E2 ) are smaller than ocean view cabins on deck 3 ( cat. H ) . 173sq.ft vs 180 sq.ft !!!

Closed Thread

Tags
back, booked, cabin, cruise, explorer, front, motion, ocean, oceanview, room, rooms, seas, ship, sickness, view