Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 01:22 PM

When I booked our Oasis cruise last week, I wanted to use my future cruise deposit, that I bought on our last RCCL cruise. It is for $100 for a future deposit, then you get an onboard credit, depending on the length of the cruise. I'm sure most of you RCCL are familiar with this. So, then I asked for my Diamond balcony discount for $200 off, they then said I can't combine the future deposit that comes with an onboard credit, that it could not be used with the Diamond balcony discount. They said I should use my future deposit, when I don't plan on using the Diamond balcony discount. Has anyone experienced this. Sonny, Dave, anyone.... what are your thoughts. I went ahead and kept my future deposit, and used my Diamond balcony discount. I forget how long the future booking deposit is good for, does anyone know. Flowrider-here I come! Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Administrator

It's true Lori. They changed the rules for new bookings made after 1/1/09. Now you can only use one OBC from either the Next Cruise booking, Diamond discount, or stockholder benefit. You can't combine those. You can still combine credits you might get from your agent, or from the RCI VISA card, etc., with the above. For instance - on my next cruise I could only use my stockholder benefit and OBC I got from my Visa card points.

This change created a big uproar. They actually started it last fall but held off until the new year after the outrage.

The future booking (Next Cruise) has no expiration if I recall correctly.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:10 PM

I booked a balcony cabin while on the Independence a couple of months ago. I was well aware of the new policy and it still bothered me when I made the booking. For me, it's not worth the bother to book while on a cruise because there's just no incentive. I usually use my diamond balcony discount, and if I should decide to book an inside cabin, I can use my stockholders benefit to get my $100 on board credit. Nobody is thrilled about this new policy.

Sonny
Old 03-25-2009, 03:30 PM

So,,,you can only use the future booking w/OBC, or a stockholder benefit for $100 OBC, or the Diamond balcony discount separately, NOT together. So why bother becoming a stockholder for the OBC, or booking a future cruise deposit when you could get $200 off a balcony (if you want a balcony). This really sucks now!! I will NEVER book another future booking on board. You would think in this economy, they would be giving us more incentives, no taking them away. Now, I am even more inclined to book another cruise line. I don't care about becoming Diamond Plus, I got my balcony discount, that is all I really wanted. Lil' Lori

Old 03-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Administrator

It's like Sonny said - use the stockholder benefit for non-balcony cabins, use your diamond benefit for balconies, and frankly I'd forget about booking a Next Cruise while aboard. It is meaningless to me now.

Of course they could also take away the stockholder benefit too.

We still hear rumors that RCI is going to revamp the C&A program and do more for D+, and also perhaps make Diamond harder to attain (as in needing more points). We'll see. I just hope they grandfather those of us who are already at the diamond level.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:47 PM

That a girl, Lil Lori. Keep thinking about how wrong it is and maybe someday you'll get as upset as I am...Nah, nobody can get that upset. Watch my cruise ticker go away in the near future.

Sonny
Old 03-25-2009, 05:34 PM

Yep...not very happy about it either . We have cruised exclusively with RCL since our first cruise on another line. We have 4 booked now....all booked while we could still combine all the perks (Diamond, stockholder, next cruise) and also because we were holding three next cruise certs and wanted to beat the deadline. We've never had a bad cruise with RCL but I'm sure looking at other lines now.

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 03-26-2009, 03:39 AM

I think the reason Rccl got themselves into this situation is they made there C&A to good rewarding people for the wrong reasons.I have seen people make Diamond plus in 2 years,just by booking suites on back to back 3 and 4 night sailings. In one week on the Monarch pick up 4 credits.Many were grandfathered in just by using anothers address.It took us 15 years to make D+ the old fashioned way,by accually spending 150+ days at sea.Now that there diamond lounges are full and revenue is down I would expect them to do what Princess and CCL does and remove they FREE drinks in the concierge lounge and just have them free on the first night and really tick off there best customers who have grown accustomed to them.
I watched the Peter Greenberg special on MSNBC the other night where he spent an hour showing where the cruise lines make there profit and though they were on NCL the story is the same.They NEED on board revenue to suvive and it looks like we are all going to pay for it. All said I still think cruising is a good value
Old 03-26-2009, 09:28 AM

I also watched the cruise story on MSNBC. I never realized how much money they can/need to make a day, mostly via the bar. But, if I sit and think about it, at how much they charge, yep, I can see that kind of money being made per day. I really enjoyed seeing the inside of the NCL ships. I thought they were quite nice. I would definately want to try them, there prices usually seem much more friendlier then RCCL. My husband really wants to try Celebrity. We have sailed on Princess once, we really liked them too. Sailed on Carnival once, on the Paradise, we felt like we were sailing in a big disco ball, even had flashing lights in the dining room. I was waiting for the waiters to break out dancing "The Hustle". I know the Paradise is one of there oldest ships, it was probably a bad choice for our first Carnival. My husband will not even consider another Carnival. Maybe we'll start to venture out on other cruise lines. Lil' Lori

Closed Thread

Tags
balcony, benefits, caribbean, combining, credit, cruise, diamond, discount, discountrccl, discounts, future, policy, program, rccl, royal