Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 11:42 AM

How likely is it to get offered an upgrade on the Explorer of the Seas., once it is booked and you have a room number.?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 AM

To be perfectly honest, not very likely... Upgrades are very rare. Are you a "c and a" member? If so what is your membership status? If you are a diamond plus like Sonny, then you have a chance, otherwise, the upgrade likelihood is grim. I didn't say impossible... just unlikely. I don't like when TA's give people false hopes. Seems like every cruise I board nowadays, I see someone's expectations being denied. My advice would be to pick the cabin level of your choice, pay for it, and have a great cruise.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by drlivingston:
I don't like when TA's give people false hopes. Seems like every cruise I board nowadays, I see someone's expectations being denied. My advice would be to pick the cabin level of your choice, pay for it, and have a great cruise.
Especially when in virtually all cases, the upgrade is nothing more than the same type of cabin but on a higher deck. I still wonder about people who book an inside cabin and fully expect to get a free upgrade to a balcony or suite. Even in Sonny's case, I think he said he didn't get an upgrade until his last cruise - which is something like his 35th with RCI!

I book a specific cabin and expect to stay with that choice. No crushed hopes that way.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I don't like when TA's give people false hopes.
It's not always the T/A, people hear all the stories of upgrades like urban legend that get passed on regularly. Some of them are true. In very rare cases those unbelievable upgrades happen, more so on some lines than others. With RCI, once your cabin has been assigned you're pretty much going to be in that cabin.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-02-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drlivingston:
To be perfectly honest, not very likely... Upgrades are very rare. Are you a "c and a" member? If so what is your membership status? If you are a diamond plus like Sonny, then you have a chance, otherwise, the upgrade likelihood is grim. I didn't say impossible... just unlikely. I don't like when TA's give people false hopes. Seems like every cruise I board nowadays, I see someone's expectations being denied. My advice would be to pick the cabin level of your choice, pay for it, and have a great cruise.
I would never give a client false hope about an upgrade. When I explain a Guaranteed booking I always explain that they "May or maynot, get upgraded, that it isn't guaranteed they will get one."
Old 07-02-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
quote:
I don't like when TA's give people false hopes.
It's not always the T/A,

Cheers, Neil

Sorry, about that Neil and CruiseFanatic. I didn't mean to blame TA's for all the misinformation. It comes from many sources and in many forms.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM

No offense taken Dr. There are some in this profession, as with all others that are bad apples, over sell and under deliver. The sterotypes of salespeople and lawyers have some basis in truth since there are some who fit the stereotype and give others an undeserved bad name. Travel agents, real estate agents and anyone who represents their product and get paid commission arelumped in with the sales profession. Some don't like the title but I'm proud of it. I've been in sales in one form or another all my adult life. I've known many over the years that I was not happy being associated with in the profession. That's life. Heck, I'll bet there are even some decent politicians out there. As you can see from my last comment, I'm guilty of the same stereotyping. Some people think poorly of salespeople, my prejudices (we all have some) are lawyers, politicians and people who don't like cruising!

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-04-2007, 03:30 AM

Hi all, I Wasnt looking for something for nothing I meant do they every offer upgrades for an extra amount. I have been on another cuise and just before the leaving date some people were asked if they would like to pay an extra to get upgraded. Thankyou for your replies.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:51 PM

Yes, you can upgrade for the difference in price from your orginally booked cabin to the one you want to upgrade to. Your TA can take care of that. If you decide to upgrade after looking at your cabin, just head down to the Guest Relations Desk and check if an upgrade is available.

Sonny
Old 07-05-2007, 03:53 PM

lilacben,

Your friend probably sailed Holland America. They often send out faxes to T/A's a few weeks before a sailing and try to upsell people to available higher cabins at a rate lower than the published new booking rate. RCI doesn't have such a program so the only way to get the upgrade is simply pay the difference in the price you booked and whatever the current rate is for the higher category you'd like to move to.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
explorer, seas, upgraded